Thread: How to: Installing 2nd forward Sling Swivel Stud in Accustock.

thomae

How to: Installing 2nd forward Sling Swivel Stud in Accustock.

Don't know if this project/modification is good enough for a sticky, but here it is nonetheless:

Material required for project:
    Hand drill.
    #21 drill bit
    #10 x 32 tap
    1 set Uncle Mike's QD Quick Detachable Swivel Bases part number 2500-0.
    Hacksaw or some other way to trim metal

I recently had my Model 10FCM out of the Accustock for maintenance.

From the inside of the stock, I could see the threaded hole in the aluminum into which the existing forward sling swivel base post was screwed.

Approximately 2 1/2 inches behind the forward swivel base post hole, was another hole drilled into the aluminum that appeared to be the same diameter. The inside of this hole was full of the composite plastic stock material.

Using a hand-held drill and a relatively small drill bit, I drilled through this hole carefully. The bit came out of the stock exactly on the centerline.

I purchased from my local Dick's Sporting Goods store (for $5.00 plus tax), one set of "Uncle Mike's QD Quick Detachable Swivel Bases," part number 2500-0. This set comes with two bases, one threaded for wood, and the other with a #10 x 32 machine screw. There is a round, knurled nut for the machine screw in case you wish to use it in a wood stock, and a couple of white composite/plastic spacer washers.

I confirmed that a number 21 drill bit is the correct size for tapping a #10 x 32 thread in soft material such as aluminum or plastic, reference: http://www.shender4.com/thread_chart.htm

Using a #21 drill bit, I slowly drilled through the remainder of the composite/plastic inside the hole and through the remainder of the stock. Looking into the hole, it appeared that the aluminum might have been threaded already, but I was could not be sure.

I took my #10x32 tap and strictly by hand, carefully worked it through the hole. I proceeded slowly and carefully as I did not want to destroy any pre-existing threads.

Judging from how easily the tap went through, and the minimal amount of aluminum shavings, I believe the hole was already threaded and I was simply chasing the plastic out of the existing threads. I threaded the hole it all the way through the bottom of the stock.

I installed the sling swivel base (I used an "ell" shaped allen wrench as a handle but a nail works just as well).

The post was slightly too long, so I removed the post from the stock, threaded the nut on the shaft, cut off about 1/8" with a hacksaw. I smoothed out the cut edge with a quick pass on the grinder, and then unscrewed and removed the nut to chase out any rough spots or burrs left behind.

I reinstalled the sling swivel base in the stock and it fit like a champ.

This project was very easy, and the only cost to me (granted, I already owned all the proper tools) was the price of the Sling Swivel Studs and about 10 minutes of my time because I proceeded very slowly. Next time this would take me less than 5 minutes to complete carefully.

I hope you find this information useful.

ellobo

Re: How to: Installing 2nd forward Sling Swivel Stud in Accustock.

Excellent tutorial Thomae. Now get it into the FAQ or tech articles section.

El Lobo

Basic Member

Re: How to: Installing 2nd forward Sling Swivel Stud in Accustock.

i found it interesting as i have an model 16 and was thinking about installing the second swivel stud! it has the accustock and i was going to remove the action and barrel to have a look, now i know it will work with the part # already provided.
    thanks Thomae for your post. :)
    Holy Crap!!