Thread: burris extreme rings, any opinions?

Basic Member

burris extreme rings, any opinions?

Just got my model 10 hs precision today. I am going to go with a sightron s3 6x24 50 mm objective and a egw base. I saw the burris extreme rings and they seemed beefy. Anyone used these or have any experiance with them? With a 0 moa egw base what height would I need if these are good rings.

Aircraftmech76

Re: Tactical style base and rings recommendation.

EGW makes an aluminum one. I have two on my rifles, and both are 20 MOA slanted bases; Warne and a first-generation Ken Farrell, and both are steel.

Kevin

rusty815

Re: burris extreme rings, any opinions?

I have an egw base and Burris XTR rings, which are the ones you're inquiring about. I have the rings on a weaver 3-15x tactical scope, and the rings are great on it, the rings are low and give me just enough clearance to use my butler creeks.

Love 'em. Yes, they are beefy. They're supposed to be. The 1/2" mounting system is solid, unlike some other "tactical" rings I've tried. I'm slowly transitioning to using these exclusively.

Due to the added mounting height of the rail, low rings will probably work. Most of mine are the low height on picatinny rails, with 50mm scopes.

They're not the prettiest, but for the money they can't be beaten. I have become more and more a believer that form really should follow function.

nuclabuyer

I am also moving to swap all my rings out to these. I have 4 sets so far. They are all good quality rings, I almost went with nightforce rings on my new 338 edge but I stuck with the Burris Xteme rings. No regrets so far

Basic Member

Amen all my guns are running burris tac. rings they are nice and solid only down side is they have a very wide grip, may cause problems with short action scopes. but great stuff for the money
    couple of savages

Basic Member

I was going to order a steel egw base but they are out on their website.

I like the aluminum ones too. They work well. Midway has them.

Basic Member

Just saw that opticsplanet has the steel base. I think I saw somewhere that the hd bases weren't as tall. Would low rings still work or do I need to go medium to clear a sightron s3 50mm obj?

I think you are correct about the HD aluminum base being thinner. It's made of a higher grade alloy. You probably would need the medium height rings with that one. Mine is the standard (thicker) base, and I have minimal clearance with the low rings- maybe 1/8"-3-16" at the objective bell.

Basic Member

Well got an hd steel base and burris extreme med. rings ordered. If it looks like there is a large gap when I get the scope bought I will buy a low set and see if they work.

Basic Member

Got my base and rings today. From the looks of it I will end up needing low rings instead of medium. Also got the scope ordered as well so I will know for sure then. I ended up going with a leupold mark 4 6x20 with a 50 mm obj. It's the most I ever spent on a scope so I hope I am not disappointed.

I too use them and had good luck with them. ;D

Basic Member

Be careful, I have seen 2 sets of these rings that the bores were very crooked. Burris eventually got around to replacing them, took about 3 months.

I do have a set that are straight and I like them.

Basic Member

Several sets- love them!

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by kkeene
    Be careful, I have seen 2 sets of these rings that the bores were very crooked. Burris eventually got around to replacing them, took about 3 months.
    Can't say mine were "very crooked" but I always lap my rings. XTRs getting lapped on my 10 FCP HS-Precision.

Basic Member

One pair that I had were well beyond what could be lapped and used, they had to be replaced. It was not the gun as the replacement pair were spot on. Some of these rings had a lot of machining problems.

Basic Member

The medium rings are to high so I got a set of lows on the way. This is with a 6.5x20 with 50mm obj leupold mark 4 scope.