Thread: Factory Muzzlebrake available to buy??

Basic Member

Factory Muzzlebrake available to buy??

Are these available to buy? Considering buying a 375hh that does not have the brake but is threaded and wonder if this is an option rather than taking to a gunsmith to install an aftermarket brake.
    --------Savage - the last refuge for the persecuted left handed rifleman----------------

Basic Member

Re: Factory Muzzlebrake available to buy??

If it has the same threads as my 300 RUM barrel holland sells one. That would be 9/16x28 TPI. You still have to index it.

Basic Member

Is that one that you can just take out of the box and attach to the barrel, or is there some finishing (besides indexing with spacer) that should be done by a gunsmith? I am wondering if a takeoff savage factory 375 caliber brake could be easily transferred from barrel to barrel - same bore diameters. Or, is this something that should be checked by a gunsmith to verify the hole lines up with the bore axis.
    --------Savage - the last refuge for the persecuted left handed rifleman----------------

The Holland is a very good brake but it does have to be indexed. The brakes I have used for several years are the Shrewd brakes from Brownells. Great price and a really good brake.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=1...t/MUZZLE-BRAKE

Basic Member

Harrell's radial brakes don't have to be indexed and as long as you know the thread size of your rifle muzzle you'll be all set. The only problem is that I don't think anyone sells one with that big of a hole, so a smith would probably need to be involved anyway.

Team Savage

sin srms can make one for you
    drybean

Basic Member

It has been a busy morning and I made a couple of rash decisions and purchases, hopefully everything will go together OK.

I called savage, and after a long search he said he found a factory 375 brake. I went ahead and said send it out and then had to buy the actual barrel (116 Safari Express 375H&H) from Numrich that they say is threaded for the factory brake. I dont think there was anyway to check the compatability of the parts from the 2 places so I can just wait and see what I can do with the parts when they get here. Worst case is I have wasted $ on a brake that wont fit, but the barrel should work as is with the thread protector that Numrich supplies.

corleone000
    Quote Originally Posted by bajabill View Post
    It has been a busy morning and I made a couple of rash decisions and purchases, hopefully everything will go together OK.

I called savage, and after a long search he said he found a factory 375 brake. I went ahead and said send it out and then had to buy the actual barrel (116 Safari Express 375H&H) from Numrich that they say is threaded for the factory brake. I dont think there was anyway to check the compatability of the parts from the 2 places so I can just wait and see what I can do with the parts when they get here. Worst case is I have wasted $ on a brake that wont fit, but the barrel should work as is with the thread protector that Numrich supplies.
    I know this is an old post, but I was wondering if you happened to have an update on this project? I bought one of those barrels awhile ago...but I haven't had any luck finding a muzzle brake (off-the-shelf). Did you have to provide a SN to the Savage parts rep to get the brake?

Thanks,
    Adam