Thread: Replacing a broken ejector

Basic Member

Replacing a broken ejector

Today my son and I went out shooting his Savage Mod 111 in 25-06. I bedded the rifle and we were out sighting it in. Long story short.... We shot some Federal 110 Accubond (factory) and the primers blew out of the round and broke the ejector. I have ordered a new ejector from Savage. I just need some help on how to go about replacing the broken one.

He had fired three rounds before I opened the action and noticed that the primers were blown out the back. New one on me....

Please help

Ryan
    MOAON AABE

DarnYankee

Re: Replacing a broken ejector

Sorry for the bad luck. Several years ago I took a new rifle to the range with factory ammo for a 7mm rem mag out of the first box I had 3 cases split and 2 misfires 2nd box was not much better. Went home disgusted and ordered a RCBS reloading set up. I figured if I was gonna have a problem it may as well be of my own causing. Didn't know or relize what a new and fun hobby I was getting into. Again sorry for the bad break.

Basic Member

Ok I have the problem figured out.... now how the heck do you get the ejector retaining pin OUT???? I cant get that sucker to budge.... I ordered the new parts so Im not in that big of a hurry... But there has to be a way to get that pin out of the bolt...

Also I have never seen factory ammo blow out primers.... 2 out of three rounds... Wouldnt have fired the third round if I had noticed the first one that blew....

Ryan
    MOAON AABE

gotcha

Hi Ryan! Sorry for the bad luck. Lotsa complaints on faulty factory ammo lately. Removing ejector pin requires a 1/16 inch punch. The pin is located in a "D" shaped recess on one end. You want to push from the OPPOSITE end to remove. Very helpful to have a third hand ;D to hold the ejector down while removing & replacing. Work carefully & you should be able to re-use pin. Recommend using a zip lock bag over the bolt lest ejector launches to unknown parts of shop (unless you can locate a third hand) Good luck, Dale

hound53

a video of boltface disassembly

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRHMg59WMJc

don't laugh but I used a cheap set of dental picks to remove the retaining pin, got em at harbor freight for like 3 bucks. Do the dis assembly/reassembly inside a clear plastic bag though. Otherwise you will spend hours looking for that little spring that rolled under the farthest workbench and into a pile of 3 year old sawdust...don't ask me how I know that

Basic Member

Thanks Dale!

I was able to finally get the retaining pin out.... Had to use a little elbow grease and a hammer but it came out.... Problem now is that the ejector is still stuck inside and wont pop out... Its inside enough that I cant grab it with anything... I have tried to push it in with a punch to break it loose and penetrating oil....

Am I going to have to drill it out? I do have new parts on the way from Savage...

Also could I have a head space problem? I didnt notice any problems with the other factory ammo or my handloads

Ryan
    MOAON AABE

hound53

sounds like the ejector pin was bent, once the retaining pin is gone the spring should force it all the way out. Or there may be some sort of debris metal causing it to bind. Does it move the pin back at all when you try and push it back ?

Basic Member

I think that you are right about it being bent.... I finally got it out by tapping the bolt face on my bench... it stuck out enough to get a pair of needle nose on it... The spring is SHOT... totally collapsed.... I had to use a dental pic as well but I had to straighten it out to reach in and remove the spring. New parts are on the way....

Always a learning experience! That was fun.... Just wondering about the head space now....
    MOAON AABE

hound53

put about .004 worth of tape on a fired cartridge and see if the bolt closes easily

Basic Member

Dumb question.... but Im not sure what you mean and where to put the tape
    MOAON AABE

On the base of the case(primer end).Trim to right diameter.
    "An armed society is a polite society"
    "...shall not be infringed" What's the confusion?

Basic Member

With blue masking tape... think its between 4 and .006.... the bolt will not close
    MOAON AABE

gotcha

First, Have a competent Smith check your HD space. This shouldn't cost more than a few bucks. If Hd space is in spec., contact Federal & negotiate for credit to include cost of repair & Gunsmith. There have been more than a few complaints here on higher than normal pressures on factory ammo lately. Not saying Federal is to blame. Your bolt shouldn't close on .002" (one thickness) of Scotch tape placed on base of fired case. Also wouldn't hurt to call Federal w/ lot# of ammo to see if they've had a recall.

Basic Member

I will have the headspace checked asap.... I did the check using the tape and the scotch tape... the bolt will not close... I dont think that I have a problem with the headspace... as I said I shot two of my reloads and another factory and didnt see any signs of pressured or damage to the brass. The bolt was not hard to close or open...

The Federal rounds completely blew the primer out and the back of the brass is all black... No black on the neck or sholder beyond maybe a 1/4 inch....

I will call Federal tomorrow... As I said I have never seen that before... surprised me.... other than the group being 2" plus the gun worked as it is supposed to.

MOAON AABE

For your headspace check, if you are using brass that was fired in your rifle, it expanded (fireformed) to your chamber's dimensions upon firing, regardless of whether your headspace is correct or not. So the tape test means nothing in this case. If you did that with a headspace GO gauge, it would be a valid check.

Regardless, it sounds much more like an ammo problem than a headspace problem. But you might still want to get it checked.

Also, if you want to check it yourself, you could buy the Go gauge for about $25, which may be less than the gunsmith would charge??.. And you get to keep the gauge.
    I hate paying for services that I could easily do myself, but for lack of the proper tool. I'd rather just buy the tool. I guess that's why I'm up to my ears in gadgets.

hound53

Quote Originally Posted by barrel-nut
    For your headspace check, if you are using brass that was fired in your rifle, it expanded (fireformed) to your chamber's dimensions upon firing, regardless of whether your headspace is correct or not. So the tape test means nothing in this case. If you did that with a headspace GO gauge, it would be a valid check.
    ::slaps forehead:: yep.

gotcha

+1................................... ::)