Thread: Bad results

Basic Member

Bad results

Had bad results at the range with my newly rebarreled 6.5 WSM.
    3 shots averaged a 4" pattern with 2.5" being the best "group". I am using a Savage 10 action, PacNor 8" twist polygonal rifled barrel, Burris Euro-Diamond scope. I got these groups while "breaking in" the barrel. The bullet fires fine (.5" and .65") in 2 other 260's that I have, so I don't think that is the problem.
    I am thinking the problem could be the use of the factory plastic/flimsy stock. Another pattern I noticed was the nickel plated brass shot worse than the brass brass. I headspaced on a case that I was going to be firing.

I'll take any and all advice on possible solutions.

I would like to keep this rifle light. I have a heavy barreled 264 WM and want this to be a lightweight 6.5. IMO rifle stocks should be wood. If a synthetic material is used for a stock it should be used to reduce weight only. I don't like the feel or looks of syn stocks and only tolerate them as a weight saving means. I will take recomendations on quality lightweight replacement stocks, but if they weigh close to wood, I'll get a bright laminate stock from Stocky's.

Re: Bad results

HI
    I would try other brands of bullets and powder combos. Just because the bullet your are trying works in other guns doesn`t mean it will work in all. I have one gun that only shoots hornady`s. I would work up to max loads shooting at least three of every load. Also, stick with 1 brand of brass and check the neck thickness. If you necked down 300 wsm they are probably to thick. Good luck.

Basic Member

Make sure the barrel and the tang are free floated. +1 for trying different bullets.
    They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Did you reuse the factory recoil lug?
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

hound53

Lots of possibilities most of which were already mentioned. Powder, seating depth of bullet, powder choice, loose screw on a scope ring or scope mount. Start with the simple and easy and work your way to the more complicated and expensive

Basic Member

Yes, I used the factory recoil lug. Tang and barrel are free floated - but I didn't check to see if the barrel was free floated with the weight of the rifle resting on it. Brass was all 270 WSM necked down. The reamer used was for a no turn neck.

Aircraftmech76

Sorry to hear of your troubles. I have a PacNor 28" 6.5 WSSM (Garfield) 3-groove, standard rifled, 8" twist barrel that does this with all load development:

[img width=576 height=768]http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a271/rvpilot76/NadineKrylonLightWoodlandGreen007.jpg[/img]

You might try annealing the brass, as that will definitely attribute to large group sizes. I've noticed that my WSSM brass was as hard as Chinese algebra, and therefore I anneal. Makes a huge difference. I use Wilson dies, and I'm sure that makes a difference in my group sizes.

Kevin

stangfish

You did not mention your load data. An easy way to check the scope is on another rifle. Your scope should be in good shape but if you need to rule it out..... How is your trigger pull? Did you attempt any type of torque routine on your action? Checked your barrel for float. Checked your tang for float?

Good Luck

The factory "tupperware" might act better with epoxy bedding. Even though you may bed the action, you might still get flexing at the recoil lug area in the stock, that being the thinest part. I suspect flexing upon recoil may be a big part of your problem. If you don't care to waste time bedding the factory stock, a pillar bedded laminate may cure your ills.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

Basic Member

Just because the bullet shoots well in your other rifle doesn't mean the new barrel likes it. According to a well known BR rifle builder, finding a bullet your barre likes is #1, #2, and #3 requirements for accuracy. For a new build he shoots 2, and if the group isn't good he moves onto a different bullet until finding the best one. Then refining the load is up the customer.

Basic Member

How do you make the brass for a 6.5 WSM? Neck down 270 WSM? Im interested in it or a 6.5 RSAUM

Basic Member

Yes, neck down 270 WSM
    Barrel in floated. I was told that polygonal rifled barrels generally like "softer" jacketed bullets. Guess this rules out Barnes! I'll try some Sierras. Generally if it won't shoot Sierra's - it won't shoot!

Nice group Airmech. Garfield?? Is the WSSM the parent case?

Basic Member

Just got a chance to take it apart and found all 4 base screws were loose!
    3 of them are back in place with redneck loctite (fingernail polish). The front screw is bottoming out on the barrel threads. I'll shorten this one, then "loctite" it back in place.
    Hope this was my problem.

Savageboy: PTG has a 6.5 SAUM reamer on it's bargain page.