Thread: Any one using a criterion barrel in 308...load data please

mike82352

Any one using a criterion barrel in 308...load data please

I'm building a 308 using a criterion barrel 10 twist and would like to know some of your pet loads. I'm planning on
    Using 168 and higher bullets. Thanks

ellobo

Re: Any one using a criterion barrel in 308...load data please

Ask in the "Aftermarketbarrel" board. Mr furios will send you ther anyway. ;D

El Lobo

I have one also. Haven't gotten a chance to really work up anything special yet for it, but it does ok (1/2") with my old standby loads. If I ever get to head back to the range, and I discover a keeper, I'll post it. Please let me know if you find a good one.

Honestly... do you really think the load data for 'Criterion' barrels is going to be significantly different than any other brand in the same caliber?

There's usually more variance between barrel 'A' and barrel 'B' of Brand 'X' than there is between Brand 'X' and Brand 'Y' as a whole, though there may be the occasional 'hummer' barrel, or one that runs unusually 'fast' or 'slow' - but the next one you buy from the same maker very well may not be.

Barrels are, despite modern manufacturing's best efforts, still somewhat individual in their behavior. What is 'best' in one may not be in another. Pet loads don't generally vary much by barrel brand.

mike82352

I know that every barrel is an individual system, but I thought that if someone was using a pre-fit criterion barrel, that the chambers would be similar. This would possibly give me a good starting point for my load development. With the cost of 30 cal bullets and the verity of bullets, I would at least like to find a particular bullet and powder that their gun likes and hopefully I can find a load that my gun likes. I’m not new to reloading and I have other rifles with custom barrels, I am a novice when it comes to 30 cal., most of my rifles are varmint calibers. I did have a Savage 308 for a while, but never could find a load that it would shoot better than 1 ¼ groups. This rifle is now a 22-250, which shoots very well. Anyway, just wanted suggestions to start my development work.

I probably came across a little harsher than I meant to... its just one of those things that I see every day or two on a few forums (not this one) and I'd reached saturation...

At any rate... I'd say check the seating depth, etc. on your own barrel but in general, Varget, IMR 4064, RE-15, I/H4895 are the good ole standby powders. IMR 8208 XBR is a newer one that burns similarly to 4895 but with a smaller kernel size (i.e. meters better) if you don't want to *have* to weigh charges. Federal brass is thick/heavy, Lapua is heavy but less thick and fairly hard/tough, and Winchester is light and pretty hard/tough (but disturbingly undersized in a number of dimensions as well as somewhat mangled out of the bag).

My 'seems to shoot in everything' load is 43.5-43.8gn RE-15 behind a S175MK seated to 2.820" (Remington mag length) in a Winchester case, Rem 9.5 primers. Other 'known-good' loads include 155gn bullets (pick one), lots of Varget (start @ 45.5gn and work your way up), Winchester or Lapua brass, Remington 9.5 or F210M primers. S190MK or B185LRBT over Varget, 4064 or RE-15 (start @ 40gn and work your way up. Berger VLDs = try jamming 10 thou into the lands, or 30-40 thou off. Others... experiment a bit, but 15-30 thou off the lands works good. For either (secant or tangent ogive) jumping a *lot* (40-120 thou) just might surprise you at how well it works if they won't shoot seated up close the lands.

For more 'known good' loads (just not specific to Criterion barrels), check out the .308 load section @ accurateshooter.com

http://www.accurateshooter.com/cartridge-guides/308win/

Savage rifles have longer magazines by a considerable bit; whether your chamber or the magazine will be the limiting factor would be interesting to find out.

mike82352

Thank you for the data, I am just looking for a starting point. I will look at the link you posted. It’s just a little bewildering when you start looking in load books, so many powders and bullets. I guess I should have ask for info for loads on any barrel, not just Criterion barrels. I do have some 150 SST’s and some Nosler 125, 180gr. BT bullets and some 168gr. Nosler combined technology BT’s. I also have some 150gr. SMK’s, I think I’ll start with those, but eventually want to try some 600-800 yard shots. Has anyone used the 208gr. Amax’s? Thanks for the info.

I like 168 A-Max's, Lapua brass, cci primers, and 43.5 gr of Reloder 15, .030" off the lands. Gives 2700+fps, groups well out to 600 yds.

mike82352

Shot a 5 shot 5/8in. group@100yds. today with 46.5gr of w748 and 150gr SMK's.
    Just started with that load and set the seating depth back.010 per group to find what the
    barrel likes with that bullet. I guess I will buy some R15 and see if I can shrink the group some more.
    Has anyone tried Hogdon CFE 223 powder yet? It looks like I could get some speed from that powder.
    Would really like to get some small groups with some 168's and 180's. It sure is a lot of work finding that
    sweet spot sometimes.

I'd focus on the 168-175grn. range, I think that's where you will likely find the sweet spot. 168,175 Match Kings, and 168, 178 A-maxes are good bullets, as are the Nosler Custom Comp's. Berger VLD's are high quality but very finicky. The .308 is such a "forgiving" round, that my opinion is that finding a bullet that your barrel likes is more important than trying a bunch of different powders. Just my opinion, could be wrong.

I have to agree with Barrel-nut... I am going to stick with the SMKs in 168gr and 175gr. Powders I'm going to try... Varget, RL-15, IMR-4895, maybe IMR-4350 on the 175gr.

Jim
    .22LR * 6.5x47 Lapua * .223 Rem * .308 Win * 260 Rem * Large Cojones!
    [I]"I can prove anything by statistics except the truth."[/I]

stangfish

IMR- 4895 with the 168's and R15 for the 175/178's has been good to me.