Thread: 99 Takedown Dovetail

maltise

99 Takedown Dovetail

Hello Folks,I am new to this Forum,but am a member on other rifle forums,and love Savage 99,s
    I have a question on a 99 Takedown that I can,t seem to get answered on other forums so I came to the experts.
    Did Savage make all there 99 takedown rifles with the Takedown Dovetail cut on the barrel at the same distance from the receiver? I guess what I am asking is for the guys who have takedown,s to measure the distance from the center of the dovetail cut to the front of the receiver.
    Thanks
    The Dog

Re: 99 Takedown Dovetail

Do not have a correct answer for you, just a random guess. 99s were mostly hand fitted.
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

maltise

Re: 99 Takedown Dovetail

You must have gotten lost in the shuffle. AFAIK the dovetails were cut the same distance from the end but there are 3 different heights of the hooks.
    Hooks are only available on the used/old stock market. They show up on eBay from time to time and the parts sellers that have old stock. Fairly hard to find. Not that hard to make with a small block of steel and a couple of files. The heights are short, medium and tall. Sorry, never measured them. If one didn't work I'd just try another.