Thread: Stevens 223 Scope Suggestions

Stevens 223 Scope Suggestions

Been a long time lurker here, and want to begin by saying thanks for the wealth of information collected on this site. I've been a handgun shooter most of my life, but am finally getting into the rifle over the last few years. I've been shooting a lot of rimfire at my indoor range on simulated distance targets, but that's been all iron sights.

So this month I was able to pick up a used Stevens 200 in 223 with the goal of getting to the range and getting some good trigger time this spring and summer. So I'm shopping for optics and thought I'd seek some suggestions. I'd like to learn the mil-dot system, so I've been looking at mil-dot optics along the lines of the Bushnell Elite 10x42 or others around that range. I see SWFA has the Vortex Crossfire available on the cheap right now as well, but have seem some mixed reviews on them and am not sure if that's worth consideration or not. I think I'd like to stay around the $300 mark and spend the rest of my money getting out to shoot, so I'd appreciate feedback on these optics or suggestions about others that might fit that criteria.

Re: Stevens 223 Scope Suggestions

any bushnell elite is better than a crossfire any day of the week. the bushnell you mention is one of the best deals going. now if you look at the vortex diamondback scopes thats a big difference, they are close to the bushy elite 3200s

Yeah, that Crossfire is looking less and less interesting to me. I've also been looking at the Milletts Muellers at similar pricepoints. The SWFA fixed power Super Snipers are also in that same same pricerange, and then Natchez also has a few Nikon Buckmasters that would fit the bill as well. So there are several to choose from for what I'm considering. Instead of getting closer to a decision it seems like it's getting more complicated by the minute!

Team Savage

there are 2 scopes fs in the classifieds
    that would surve you fine
    drybean

Deerhunter 28

Sightron

PSE EVO 61 lbs.
    Blacked out

I looked at the two posted in the classifieds, but one the Nikon is a plex reticle and the Mueller as 1/8 MOA knobs which don't particularly interest me. I've looked at the Sightrons a little too, but the SIII's are getting a little out of my price range and the SII's again have those 1/8 MOA knobs. I did find a deal on a Burris TAC30 that is right at the $300 price point that has got me intrigued. I've had several Burris optics and had great luck with them, so might have to go that direction.

Basic Member

I have a Vortex Viper on my Stevens 200 LA and I'll be ordering another Viper for my new Stevens .223.

helotaxi

Midway has the Weaver Grand Slam tactical 3-10 on sale for $299 right now. It has the mil-dot reticule but it also has 1/10 mil adjustments. Saves you from having to convert back and forth between mils and MOA to make scope adjustments based on observed impacts. The Bushnell is available with 1/10 mil adjustments as well; the Weaver is just a bit more flexible being a variable power (though it is a second focal plane). The Bushnell has more adjustment available (23.5 vs. 16.5 mil advertised).

Also in your price range if you don't mind a reticule and turrets that don't match (mil and MOA) are the various SWFA SS fixed power scopes. It looks like they're taking pre-orders for the same scopes with 1/10 mil adjustments as we type. That will give you the option of a little more magnification.