Thread: Rings and Mounts

smoker

Rings and Mounts

Have a 12BVSS on order and wonder what the opinion here is on scope mounts and rings. I have a 30MM tube 50MM objective scope that I will use and would really like to hear from the folks that have similar set up as to base, ring hieghts, etc. Thanks, smoker

stangfish

Re: Rings and Mounts

For the money Talley or Warne QD. I use Warne and have found their customer service to be unmatched. They replaced screws on recoil lugs(for the rings) free of charge w/no shipping charges. I like the 1 piece weaver style or Picatinny style rail. The Iron sighter is a good value but I have EGW also. You can spend 300 on rings and a base if you want but if I can do it right for 70, I'm happy.

Medium will give you plenty of clearance and still have room for the eyepiece on a shorter scope.
    Fishes $.002

Basic Member

My preference is Burris Signature rings to fit on a weaver style base.
    Man and man's best friend. Still looking at the green side of sod

smoker

So you guys are favoring the Weaver style base? I'm thinking that's a good idea as the interchange between scopes would be easier than if I was using Leupold. The QD rings would make it all easier. Thanks again, smoker PS Medium rings would work? Happy to hear that as being very short in the arms, sight picture should be some easier.

bowhunter42

I try to stick with Talley one piece rings and bases, I really like the fact that the ring and base is milled out of one piece of alloy, less things to come loose. I have a 5x20x50 mounted on my 116 and used the medium height rings, plenty of clearance, and when I shoulder the rifle, Im looking right thru the scope.

smoker

bowhunter42, I'll have to check that out. I'm mounting a 8-32x50 scope but would like the option to change to a lower power. Thanks, smoker

I'll confirm/concur BowHunters experience. I also use Talley Lightweight one-piece (Medium) on both of my Savages (model 12s with Heavy Varmint barrels) and that works out really well for me. They are SOLID and perform as they should. Dosen't hurt that they look pretty nice too ;D
    .22LR * 6.5x47 Lapua * .223 Rem * .308 Win * 260 Rem * Large Cojones!
    [I]"I can prove anything by statistics except the truth."[/I]

Basic Member

I like burris tatical rings as they offer good grip without fear of crushing anything lapping any rings you get is a good idea though. egw bases aluminum on aluminum. blue lock tight the base screws. if you run steel rings i like to run steel bases. but hardly ever do being scope tubes are softer. med. rings should clear ive got a 44 objective and caps plenty of room.
    couple of savages

smoker

quickkillaught6, thanks for your info. I was hoping that med. rings would work. I have always used Leupold rings/bases with excellent results, but was wondering what the rest of the world was doing. I always loctite my bases. When I sell/trade a rifle the base goes with it. smoker

Basic Member

Yes sir no problem my 4200 bushnell's use low rings on egw bases with 40 mm objectives so always measure first
    couple of savages

smoker

Rifle came today. Bought a Weaver tacticle base and Burris medium rings.....just like you said " Plenty of room ". Thanks folks. smoker

Basic Member

good deal smoker get us some pics you get that thing up and running!! good shooting
    couple of savages

smoker

Will do.

smoker

Hope this works, thanks again to all. smoker

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/d.../SAVAGE308.jpg

Basic Member

Bad a$$ lookin rig there smoker nicely done..
    couple of savages