Thread: Best light gathering illuminated scope with 1.5x - 2x on the bottom end.

Team Savage

Best light gathering illuminated scope with 1.5x - 2x on the bottom end.

For a reasonable price.
    Would like to hear from practical experience.

One is a Swavarski 1.5-6x but that's an expensive scope.
    Checked one out in a store one time and had to run out
    before I got out my CC.

Been through several night vision scopes recently ending with a Zeiss Orion 80 mkI and I have decided anything less than
    gen 3 wont cut it for me and I dont have 3G to drop on NV.
    Need a low magnification lower end day scope anyway for swamping.

This will be an all around hunting scope, from woods to fields, out to 300-400 yard shots in daylight and at night sliver of moon hunting.
    Would prefer 7x or 8x at least on top.

Need a variable illuminated dot retical of some sort.
    Needs to be able handle some recoil.

How about a Bushnell 6500 1.25-8x ?? No illuminated retical though

Will also pick up a ND-3 light for night hunting....
    http://swfa.com/Laser-Genetics-ND-3-...or-P41090.aspx

Thanks

stangfish

Re: Best light gathering illuminated scope with 1.5x - 2x on the bottom end.

For the money Leatherwood HI-LUX CMR
    http://www.hi-luxoptics.com/index.ph...d=50&Itemid=56

Don - LongRangeSupply

The Nightforce 1-4x is pretty decent

Team Savage

Ouch = NF. Had one of their scopes a while back and really nice.

Going to try a Sightmark 1-6x24 30mm IR scope first.
    Dont have much faith but it gets good reviews.
    Just nothing in the 1-6X range that does not cost an Arm and a leg.

If that does not work out I will probably try out a Falcon Menace 1.5-5X IR scope.
    REally like that retical, but supposedly it has a very tight Eyebox and that drives me nuts.

If neither of those work out then probably a Bushnell 6500 1.25-8x24.

375Win

Take a look at the Alpen Optics APEX XP 4060, it's a 1.5x6x40 Ill. dot ret. They are on back order everywhere, trickling in from there maker in Japan, my name is on the next batch, I've been on BO since last June. I knew ir would be a long wait but I think it will be a great scope. I orderred it directly from Alpen.

http://alpenoptics.com/mm5/merchant....duct_Code=4060

VjjR

Try the trijicon 1-4x24 or the 1.25-4x24 one is one inch and one is 30mm I think.

Team Savage

More.

Tried a Sightmark 1-6X.
    Got good reviews, but the eyebox is so tight I would not feel safe using it in a
    CC tight situation.

That brings up another issue. I cant deal with scopes with a tight eyebox or tunnnel vision.

The best I have used so far as far as eyebox and the image filling the eyepiece, IE not tunnel vision
    is Leupold.

For now I am mounting a Leupold 2-7X that I already have on one rifle and a 3-9x50 on another.

There is a Leupold VX6 1-6X24 scope that is about $800 or $900 for the illuminated version and eventually I will most likely end up with one of those.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/928...-reticle-matte

Team Savage

Check out the new Leupold VX-R with Fire Dot reticle. They offer a 2-7x33 power version with illuminated reticle. I just picked up one and really like it. Appears to have the VX-3 glass in 30mm tube with adjustable eye-piece. Looks like it might be a good hog scope.

Based on the title of the thread I'm guessing light gathering ability is one of your key concerns. That being the case, stay away from scopes with a 20-24mm objective as you probably won't be happy with them in low-light conditions. My new Leupold VX-R 1.25-4x HOG is surprisingly bright for the 24mm objective size, but I'd still recommend at least a 32-36mm for early morning/late evening use as light gathering ability is directly proportional to the objective lens diameter. That said, I'd also recommend the Leupold VX-R 2-7x33mm as it offers exactly what you're looking for, is several hundred dollars cheaper than the VX-6, has a 30mm main tube, and will perform better in low-light conditions with the larger objective.

Battery life is also greatly improved in the VX-R's as the illumination has an inertia sensor. The illumination will automatically turn off (standby mode) if the rifle is stationary for more than a few minutes, but as soon as you move it the illumination turns back on to your previous setting. Nice feature as it won't kill your battery if you forget to turn it off while sitting in your blind or stand.

"Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

heres a Vortex Viper 2-7 that was just listed for sale on another site incase you were interested.

http://www.predatormastersforums.com...gonew=1#UNREAD
    ”I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.”
    ~Clint Eastwood

shaman

Quote Originally Posted by tammons
    More.

Tried a Sightmark 1-6X.
    Got good reviews, but the eyebox is so tight I would not feel safe using it in a
    CC tight situation.

That brings up another issue. I cant deal with scopes with a tight eyebox or tunnnel vision.

The best I have used so far as far as eyebox and the image filling the eyepiece, IE not tunnel vision
    is Leupold.

For now I am mounting a Leupold 2-7X that I already have on one rifle and a 3-9x50 on another.

There is a Leupold VX6 1-6X24 scope that is about $800 or $900 for the illuminated version and eventually I will most likely end up with one of those.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/928...-reticle-matte
    Did you buy it and resell it, or just try it in store?

Team Savage

Bought it from midway and returned it. They will pretty much take anything back.
    All I did was take it out of the box, checked out how tight the eyebox was and realized it was not for me then returned it.

Falcon makes a 1.5-5X. The retical is nice on that one but I tried a Falcon Menace a while back and did not like it.
    Extremely tight eyebox and very tunnel vision so I decided to pass on the 1.5-5x falcon for now..

shaman

Quote Originally Posted by tammons
    Bought it from midway and returned it. They will pretty much take anything back.
    All I did was take it out of the box, checked out how tight the eyebox was and realized it was not for me then returned it.

Falcon makes a 1.5-5X. The retical is nice on that one but I tried a Falcon Menace a while back and did not like it.
    Extremely tight eyebox and very tunnel vision so I decided to pass on the 1.5-5x falcon for now..

I was looking at the FFP Sightmark 1.5-5 for a while, found one for a good price used, but without IR, a lower power optic isn't very useful. Have you checked into the Mueller stuff. I know the Mueller Multi-shot is 2-7x32 and IR. Dot circle reticle.

Team Savage

No I decided to take another route for now.

I actually have 2 rifles I wanted to change around.

Wanted 1x or 2x on the bottom end for a 35 whelen, so I decided just to use a Leupold 2-7x I already had on my 223.

The 223 I will use at night (when I rarely do) and for that rifle I am using a 3-9 X 50 scope but no IR.
    I will use a laser mounted on top of the scope.
    Only good for moonlight nights.

Ideally for low light I would like to have an NV Eotech with a gen 3 NV illuminator but I cant afford it now.