Thread: Scope bases 10 or 20 MOA need help

Basic Member

Scope bases 10 or 20 MOA need help

Just finished my first build on a Savage 112. 6.5 x 284.
    What I seem to have trouble getting through my head is which one piece base I should use, 10 MOA or 20 MOA. I will be putting a Sightron SII 6x24x42 target dot 1/8 clicks and it appears that I have 305 total clicks of movement top to bottom or around 38". I'm not completely sure what is considered center of the scope but logic tells me at around 150 clicks. If that's the case I should have 18.75 MOA movement down, and the same up. So, having said all that, won't a 20 MOA base be too much since it would eat up all my downside movement to get a 100 or 200 yard zero? Someone help me make sense of my next move.
    Thanks!

KRP

Re: Scope bases 10 or 20 MOA need help

Shoot the rifle and zero it where you want, then you can check the available adjustment in the scope and decide on a base.

Basic Member

Problem is I don't have any bases at the moment, that's why I'm trying to decide what to order.

Depending on the range you intend to shoot at you probably don't need either,just a flat rail.
    The scope should have plenty of adjustment to get way out there.
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow

82boy

You are correct the Sightron scopes have a lot of adjustement. Depending on what your wanting to do, you may not need a MOA angle bas at all. If you figger a 6BR going out to 600 yards needs around 12 minutes you should be fine. If your planing on going out to 1000 or a diferent round you may need a bit more. I agree in most cases the 20MOA bases are a bit on the extream side of things, and I have found that you can run out of adjustment trying to get a 100 yard zero. The problem is hardly anyone makes a 10 MOA bas, most bases are around 20 MOA. Your options then narrow, you may be able to get the amount of adjustement with a set of Burris Signature rings. When dealing with MOA you have to remember that the space between the rings will affect the amount of actual MOA on the base.