Thread: Model 16 Feeding problem diagnosed. Now to solve the problem!

762X51

Model 16 Feeding problem diagnosed. Now to solve the problem!

After the thorough disgust wore off from paying good money for a non working rifle I decided to solve the problem myself. It's just a rifle it's not rocket science. My model 16 FCSS in .223 refuses to feed the last round from the magazine. The first and easiest step was to contact Savage for a magazine replacement to rule out a faulty magazine. Got the new magazine and no joy. I suspected as much since the magazine will engage the forward catch before bottoming out against the receiver. I can hold pressure on the bottom of the magazine (holding it in place where it should be) and it will feed every time. Ideally the magazine catch should engage at the same time that the magazine bottoms out ensuring that the magazine is inserted as far as possible into the gun. We're only talking 1-2mm but that's all it takes to make this rifle unreliable. Now...how to actually solve the problem??? There are really only two things that affect the position of the magazine in the gun; the small pressed in detent on the front of the magazine and the magazine catch itself. Since the small shelf on the magazine body is pressed in at the time of manufacturing I can't really change that. The magazine catch could also be longer and solve the problem but I don't know if they're cast oversized and fitted or this is just the tolerances I can expect from a Savage rifle. If I could order an “as cast” magazine catch and fit it myself that would be great, but like I said I don't know if the part is originally oversized to allow for fitting or not. My other option is to remove the magazine catch and TIG weld a small bit of material to the end and then fit it. I'm thinking this is my best option. So there you have it...does this sound reasonable? Are there any flaws in my diagnosis? Anybody got a better idea?

Here's a video showing the space between the mag body and the receiver bottom...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=_IZY5w7b0EU

Basic Member

Re: Model 16 Feeding problem diagnosed. Now to solve the problem!

The problem is that the magazine frame is too far away from the receiver. Remove the frame and make sure it is bottomed out against the inlet in the stock. There may be casting burrs or flaws protruding from the casting that holds it away. The easiest would be grind some off the bottom of the mag frame if this is the problem.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

762X51

Quote Originally Posted by sharpshooter
    The problem is that the magazine frame is too far away from the receiver. Remove the frame and make sure it is bottomed out against the inlet in the stock. There may be casting burrs or flaws protruding from the casting that holds it away. The easiest would be grind some off the bottom of the mag frame if this is the problem.
    Yes! Yes! Yes! That will work! Now to fire up the mill! THANKS!

762X51

Quote Originally Posted by sharpshooter
    No! No! No!, it won't work! It was with high hopes that I disassembled my model 16 hoping to find some casting flash or a burr preventing the magazine frame from fully seating, but alas, such was not the case. Removing metal from the top of the mag frame to allow the magazine to bottom out against the receiver bottom doesn't seem to be the answer either. There is very little material above the pin that the mag latch pivots on and the amount of material I'd need to remove (from the purple area in photo) would open up or leave precious little material at the top of the hole the pin supporting the latch passes through.

You can see how far off from parallel the mag is in the mag frame.

I really think the easiest answer is to extend the mag catch a couple millimeters. Here you can see how much space exists when the mag is bottomed out in the frame.

I wonder if Savage would be kind enough to measure a new mag latch and provide me with the dimensions? If they are indeed made oversized I could fit it easier than tigging a build up on my existing latch. Needless to say the two I currently own will probably be the last Savage products I'll ever own and I can't get rid of these fast enough. There's a gun show coming up this weekend and I may be able to make this someone else's project. If anyone would like this rifle it's been fired approximately 40 times. It's yours for $400. I'm sick of screwing with sub standard crap!

ellobo

Try making a pc. of steel the right size and solder to the latch to take up the space.

El Lobo

Quote Originally Posted by ellobo
    Try making a pc. of steel the right size and solder to the latch to take up the space.

El Lobo
    thats what I was thinking too..

Considering i just bought the rifle I guess i will let you know how that idea works...LOL

If it doesnt im sure a single shot fred sled will do the trick, or a dummy round left in the mag and just shoot 4...LOL
    ”I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.”
    ~Clint Eastwood