Thread: Donor 110 Advice

Basementarmorer

Donor 110 Advice

Howdy all. I'm a long time lurker and first time poster. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

I was in my local gun shop last week and mentioned that I was looking for a cheap 110 for a donor receiver. The smith/salesman/owner dug around in back for a few minutes and came out with two rifles that he had taken in on different trades. One is a 7 mag and the other a 30-06 he said he would take $200 for either one. The 7 mag has a wood stock on it that looks like it was used to reduce to possession cave man style and the 30-06 has a pretty straight looking black poly stock. I would say that as far as barrel/receiver finish the blue on them is about the same perhaps a tiny bit better on the 30-06. Both haven't been treated very nicely, a little surface rust, a nick here and there, nothing that a good scrubbin wouldn't take care of mostly. The 30-06 is definitely newer as it has savage printed on the bolt and the knurled/flattened bolt handle knob while the 7 mag is the old painted looking wood and round bolt handle knob. I've been contemplating a semi-custom 110 based rifle in 308 for quite some time. I plan to rebarrel to a Varmint contour, re-stock and change up triggers.

Question 1 - Is $200 a decent price for a donor?
    Question 2 - If I am looking to rebarrel to 308 is one of these two rifles more desirable than the other?
    Question 3 - If all things are equal from the rebarrel stand point, are the take-off parts worth more in 7 mag or 30-06?

Re: Donor 110 Advice

The 30-06 will already have the correct bolthead, and 308 should feed out of the 06 magazine.

If you get the 7mag you will need both a new bolthead and a new magazine.

All the other parts are pretty much a moot point on either. Neither stock is that great or worth much money, and both barrels are of an unknown round count and only worth about $30-40.

I vote for getting the 30-06
    ”I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.”
    ~Clint Eastwood

Question 1: Depends on where you live. Around here that is a good price
    Question 2: 30-06 has the correct bolt-head, otherwise they are the same gun.
    Question 3: Prices for take-off parts are all the same.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

ellobo

Ditto on the .30-06. If either one has a flat rear on the reciever that is an indication of its age but just an indication, not definative. The price is decent, about what I paid for my donors. Look over the rifle well for any problems you might see like offset scope mounting holes, safeties not working properly, mangled bolt heads etc. The devil is in the details.

El Lobo