Thread: 24" 260 Rem Barrel

jojo_got_mojo

24" 260 Rem Barrel

I recently picked up a Steven's 200 in .243 at my local sporting goods store for $230. I am looking into turning this little guy into a 260 "LR/tactical" rig. I'm torn between an aftermarket barrel manufacturer, you guys have any recommendations? Seems like you can't go wrong with a McGowen or a Criterion around here. Let me know what y'all think. Thanks!

Re: 24" 260 Rem Barrel

Quote Originally Posted by jojo_got_mojo
    Seems like you can't go wrong with a McGowen or a Criterion around here.
    Either of them would be my vote... You'lll be happy with either.

I just built a gun for a friend of mine using a 26" Mcgowen 260 barrel. I used some reloads made for my 260 just to break this barrel in and it actually shot them very well right from the start. I had one group in the mid .3 range till i pulled the 5th shot, which made it a hair over .5....Still I was impressed since these were shots 11-15 out of the barrel. It will definately tighten up with its own load and some more rounds thru it. It also cleaned very easily. With 20 rounds thru it there was hardly any copper in it.
    ”I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.”
    ~Clint Eastwood

Basic Member

Couldn't be happier with my Criterion. Had a Shilen a few years back and thought it was awesome- until we got the Criterion. Best barrel out there for the Savages.

Basic Member

The only aftermarket barrel I have shot so far is a Douglas barrel I had chambered several years ago. Great shooting barrel. I have shot bullets weighing between 110g to 168g and have yet to have a group that I couldn't compete with. My brux barrel will be ready soon and will be giving a range report with that.
    They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Wildboarem

+2 on the Criterion from Northlander.

jojo_got_mojo

Thanks for the input! Looks like a Criterion is the way to go.