Thread: Reloading Question

_sandman_

Reloading Question

Hello to all. This is my first post here. From what I can see, this is a very informative forum with a lot of people who give great advice. Thus, the reason for my first post is to seek some advice.

I'd like to get into reloading, but I'm not wanting to do it full out. I will be just loading two calibers (.308 & .243) in my rifles. These hand loads will only be used for hunting purposes and not paper punching. Can I get by with just loaded with the Lee hand reloader vs. a full blown press, dies, and all the other tricks of the trade?

I plan on getting a separate scale to measure out the powder along with a powder trickler to get precise measurements as well as a hand primer for my cases. Just not wanting to go full scale right now and was wondering if the hand loader would foot the bill for accurate hunting rounds. Any information of help you can provide is appreciated.

Re: Reloading Question

sandman...Yes,you can use the Lee hand type reloading system,but reloading is FAR faster & easier using a press with dies. I don't know what kind of budget you're looking at,but besides the Lee loader,you'll need a case trimmer,scales,case lubing pad/lube,neck brushes,primer pocket cleaning tool,dial calipers,etc. The Lee hand loading tool will do what you want to do. Ammo for deer or targets require the same preparation. If you are going to reload,make it easy on yourself or you will lose interest if it becomes too much like work. Once you get past the initial cost,reloading is rewarding. Good luck.

SMK Shoe

Look at the Lee anniversary kit on midway. IIRC, price was pretty good and has everything needed to start minus dies and components. Lee makes some good stuff, Not top of the line but good quality stuff, especially to start out. I started with a RCBS partner press in 1988ish as a young private in the army. More time than money. Loaded a easy 100,000 rounds ( over 400,000 pulls on the handle) and other than the ram being loose, still works well. But be advised, this is a addictive habit. I now have two turrent presses, two single stages, and two dillion 650's with dies for every caliber I and my friends shoot. I think I shoot to give me a excuse to reload. Very rewarding hobby, You won't save alot of money, just shoot alot more with the ammo budget. Good Luck ( remember all that disposable income you use to have, it will be converted to bullets and powder ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D)

dacaur

You will still need dies with the hand loader, in fact you need everything you would need for a press, except of course the press.... if $$ is the reason, the lee anniversary kit is a pretty darn good deal....

D00M

I am only going to load for two caliber...... ;D

DooM

Quote Originally Posted by D00M
    I am only going to load for two caliber...... ;D

DooM
    LOL per day?
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

kdvarmint

DooM,

What kind of accuracy are you wanting to achieve, and how many rounds a year do you expect to load. If your only looking for 1-1.5 inch groups at 100 yards and not shooting more than 100 or 200 rounds a year, it's probably not worth the time and investment. If you have a genuine interest in reloading and shooting then DO NOT CUT CORNERS!!! Buy quality equipment and buy ONCE. If you later find it's not what you really want to do you will be able to sell or pass it on to a family member who has the interest. I bought the line you could save some money reloading. Have I saved money? That could be argued. What I did do was take the lid off a can of worms and started a hobby and passion that only goes deeper and deeper. I never dreamed I would have spent the money I have. The only regrets I've had were cutting corners and then buying twice. Don't save money that way. Good luck!

[img width=576 height=768]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v675/gcidso123/savage/reloading/img1328457296782.jpg[/img]the Lee scale is definatley one I would pass on.

better or an RCBS beam has better magnetic dampening so you do not have to wait so long for it to stop moving.
    [img width=576 height=768]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v675/gcidso123/savage/reloading/img1328456233568.jpg[/img]

if you want a great one

The lee press will do the job if you need small, also RCBS partner is compact and a little stronger. my portable to the range set up.
    [img width=576 height=768]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v675/gcidso123/savage/reloading/img1328458528284.jpg[/img]
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

Basic Member

+1 on the lee anniversary kit. Bought one last year and have been very impressed with the results for a fairly small investment. It is a very addictive hobby though so proceed with caution.

Welcome to the sport!

A note of caution: Reloading is addictive.

First - few rounds "only for hunting", next a few sighters, then "what happens when I use a different bullet, or powder, etc. Got to shoot a few groups for each.

Soon the reloading is as much or more fun than the shooting!

Basic Member

++ Lee Challenger Anniversary Kit!

Everything you need to reload except dies and a manual. I agree that the scale isn't the best, and there are stronger presses, but this will do quite well, and the price is right. It makes a fine range press if you want to develop rounds as you shoot. If (when) the reloading bug bites, you can upgrade stuff as needed.

Can't emphasize enough the importance of a good manual, or better yet two.

Basic Member

[img width=576 height=768]http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l500/Joseph_Tatum/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_7571.jpg[/img]

My lee press seems to work just fine. That's with a factory barrel savage 110. I'd hate to see what I could do with "better" equipment.