Thread: Boyd's Prairie Hunter vs Stockade, B&C etc?

Basic Member

Boyd's Prairie Hunter vs Stockade, B&C etc?

How do these stack up compared to their synthetic competition? Have been looking at Stockade, H/S, B&C etc for a hunting rifle build. Obviously the Boyds doesn't come with the al bedding block, but if it were properly bedded any reason to not go with this stock? How much of an accuracy difference would you see between a Boyd's and say a Stockade Mule Hunter? Will the Boyd's shoot as well? How much of a real world impact does wood vs fiberglass make?

http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/PLATIN...-032-pltnm.htm

Thanks, Matt.

AKShooter

Re: Boyd's Prairie Hunter vs Stockade, B&C etc?

Having a B&C medalist and a Stockade I can comment on those. My personal feeling on the wood versus fiberglass/syn stock is I wouldnt want to drag a beautiful wood stock through where I live. The only thing I shoot with wood on it are my Garand and 1911. That said I love my B&C Medalist awesome off the bench but it's a bit chunky for hunting even though I take it calling, chalk it up to young and dumb. My Stockade thumbhole is very nice, points very nice off the bench, prone, sitting and standing. If you haven't yet give Kevin at Stockade a call but have time to talk. He is a hoot to talk to and very helpful, first class service and products and he builds it to what you have.

Senderofan

I have a Stockade PD/Tactical on one of my rifles...for my wife and son. Personally, I think it's right up there with my McMillan A5....the main difference being the McMillan has the color molded into the stock...where the Stockade is painted. I have H-S Precision on two Remingtons that I own...they function just fine...but being factory stocks...they don't have any upgrades.

I've got a BVSS that has the laminated factory stock...it functions just fine. But I really like the idea of stability and all weather capability of the synthetic stocks...but that's just my humble opinion.

Wayne

Basic Member

Thaks for the replies. The weather issues are what had be looking at the synthetics in the first place.

Have heard good things about working with Stockade, I'll give them a call tomorrrow.

Has anyone done a side by side comparison between a wood stock and a glass one? I certainly understand the principles involved, the temp and moisture causing the wood to react etc but in well bedded stock with a floated barrel I wonder how much of a difference it actually makes? Not stirrring the pot, just curious.

ellobo

Laminate stocks, while a bit heavier, are as stable as any other. Bedded and floated a Boyds or factory stock would be very stable and accuarate as any other.

El Lobo