Thread: Do I need ...

mstarling

Do I need ...

Guys,

Am getting ready to pull the Douglas bbl out of my Savage rifle. Going to ship it out to be threaded for a brake/can adapter.

I have a Brownell's style barrel vise and an action wrench for Mauser actions. Will make the aluminum collar for my barrel and a pillow block for the action wrench to adapt it to the Savage action.

I understand the action wrench is very desirable for holding the action in position when the barrel is reinstalled. Is it desirable for holding the action while the barrel nut is loosened and removed?

(In other words, can I wait to make the pillow block while the barrel is out to be threaded.)

One last verification ... the threads on the barrel nut are such that turning the nut counter clockwise facing the action will loosen it up?

THanks!

Re: Do I need ...

Quote Originally Posted by mstarling

One last verification ... the threads on the barrel nut are such that turning the nut counter clockwise facing the action will loosen it up?

that is correct
    ”I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.”
    ~Clint Eastwood

Eric in NC

Not sure what a "pillow block" is but the mauser action wrench is for flat bottom actions and a Savage wrench is for round actions.

mstarling

Pillow block will be made of 7075 aluminum. Will provide a layer over the flat side of the Mauser action wrench and provide the round bottom needed by the Savage action. When I made the Mauser wrench I made it so the there was enough bolt length to use such blocks so that I didn't need to make a completely new wrench base with handle.

Will take a piece of 1.5 x 1" x 5" 7075 and drill holes in it to fit the bolts of the wrench. Will then use a boring bar to cut the radius needed for the action between the holes. Will finish the insert (or pillow block) by relieving the front for the recoil lug and adjust the thickness of the entire block so that the action fits between the top and bottom of the wrench with the insert installed.

The kinda thing you can do when you have a milling machine.

Members who have read this thread in the last 1 days: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.