Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: shipping a barrel

shipping a barrel

What are the laws about shipping just a barrel?

Team Savage

Re: shipping a barrel

none

Eric in NC

As long as it is in the good old USA - none. There may be some laws in gun hating local places but none that I know of that apply to rifle barrels.

Basic Member

The only law is that it should be packed good!

Team Savage

The "law" states that it should be packed "REAL GOOD"!! Too many empty packages show up. You can't pack it good enough. ;D
    Oz never gave nothing to the Tin Man, that he didn't already have.

ellobo

It may be only a local thing but I will not ship anything gun related by UPS. Every time I took something to be shipped to the local UPS they had me repack it, and then repak it again, then again. It was never good enough for them. I finaly went to FedEx and they never even asked what it was except to see if it was flammable or explosive. I make custom muzzlelaoding guns, rifles, smoothbores and pistols and ship them all over the US. I have pretty much given up that due to age and eyesight. Cant do the carving and engraving I used to.
    And yes, make sure the ends of any container with a barrel in it are secure and the barrel cant escape the package that way. It is the weak point of any package with a thin tubular thing in it.

+1 on what ellobo said. A buddy of mine does a fair ammont of buying and selling guns over the internet and he told me to stay clear or UPS, and to use the Post office (usps).

RustyW

I've purchased a couple barrels from forum members here. They were packaged in a cardboard tube and wrapped in bubble wrap, tight, great job. I also purchased a custom barrel from a very well know maker. It was shipped UPS and arrived in a cardboard tube with the ends squozen shut & taped w/fiber tape. No packing, just rattling around in the tube. We're talking $400.00 just bouncing around in cardboard. The UPS man just left it laying by my mail box, I live about 1/4 mile from my box, out in the boonies. UPS scares me.

CaptNemo

PVC tube with a cap on one end and a screw plug in the other with plenty of packing material.
    UPS - If it's BROWN - FLUSH IT !!!!!

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by RustyW
    I've purchased a couple barrels from forum members here. They were packaged in a cardboard tube and wrapped in bubble wrap, tight, great job. I also purchased a custom barrel from a very well know maker. It was shipped UPS and arrived in a cardboard tube with the ends squozen shut & taped w/fiber tape. No packing, just rattling around in the tube. We're talking $400.00 just bouncing around in cardboard. The UPS man just left it laying by my mail box, I live about 1/4 mile from my box, out in the boonies. UPS scares me.
    I get stuff from UPS all the time, and cannot remember the last time I had a problem. I live out as well, and they always leave it by the gate. The UPS guy has told my wife, he has delivered packages like that, in this area, for years and has never had one problem. We have a gate to our road, and there are folks that live several miles down the road, and their packages, like mine, get left at the gate. That's just how we do it.

In the above case, UPS didn't pack it! I would have really gotten after the company you bought the barrel from in that case. If I want something special done at delivery time, I make sure the shipper knows about it, as well as the person or company I am buying from.

Not saying UPS is perfect, maybe I've been lucky. never had them or anyone else make me repack any package I have shipped. I make sure it's done right before I leave home. One of those packages was at a UPS in Ohio, where I was shipping home the mounted deer head, I had shot the year before. It was packed in a very large box, about 4ft tall and 2.5 x 2.5ft. i was shipping other things in the box as well. it was packed right, and never questioned.

I am still amazed at the folks that walk into a post office to mail a package with nothing more that some very light (like newspaper) and string around it. THEY get to repack. Most places have posted what they will and will not accept.

And as for the original question, no laws I am aware of either. I always receive and ship barrels in round tubes, with barrels wrapped tightly in foam or bubble, and making sure the ends are packed tight as well.

Cycler

Quote Originally Posted by handirifle
    I am still amazed at the folks that walk into a post office to mail a package with nothing more that some very light (like newspaper) and string around it. THEY get to repack. Most places have posted what they will and will not accept.
    I expect the problem was with the string around the package. UPS and Fed-Ex have both refused packages wrapped with string as it get caught in their sorting machines. A paper wrap with tape is fine but no string or rope.

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cycler
    Quote Originally Posted by handirifle
    I expect the problem was with the string around the package. UPS and Fed-Ex have both refused packages wrapped with string as it get caught in their sorting machines. A paper wrap with tape is fine but no string or rope.
    Usually it is, IF the tape goes all the way around the package.

Basic Member

I've had bad experiences with USPS although I think it was the guy I was dealing with. He asked me what was in the box. I told him a rifle stock. He initially refused to ship it. I asked him why and he said it was a gun related item. He refused to ship anything gun related. I asked for the manager and wanted the manager to explain to me what was so harmful about a piece of walnut being shipped. Needless to say the stock got shipped.
    They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

I am totally amazed at all your shipping problems.I had one problem with usps and it was resolved and never have had a problem ever again.I think most of your problems are with people rather than the company. I would report the harassment to their supervisor or go higher.
    Willing to give back for what the sport has done for me!

Basic Member

Yup, I am with the rest of the guys that Hate UPS. FedEX is cheaper and a lot better people to deal with. No UPS package store will ship a gun you have to take to the depot. If it is BROWN I DON'T NEED IT!!

I'm in the "never had a problem with UPS" camp. I've been getting packages delivered to me at various addresses by them for 25+ years, literally hundreds of packages, and never a problem. Always quick and courteous. Never shipped any gun parts with them, other than scopes, though. Maybe it's local issues causing the problems?

goosebrown

Nothing but good luck with UPS here. They even bring dog biscuits to feed the dog when they come. She actually waits on the porch for her "favorite human"... the slime...

One problem with UPS here is the "UPS Store" is a franchise and they will give you problems with gun parts, but the UPS regular drop off is excellent here.

I have had luck with USPS on barrels before. I use the priority mail and it sails through.

ellobo

Today I recieved a 42 inch smoothbore 24 ga. barrel and other parts. It was shipped from Track of the Wolf and the packaging was superb.
    The barrel was strapped to a pc of wood, the other parts were in heavy duty plastic shipping bags and the long box was filled tightly with foam peanuts (damn things cling to everything). The ends of the long box was sealed substantialy to prevent the barrel exiting. The shipper was FedEx. That is how barrels should be shipped.

El Lobo

Eric in NC

Quote Originally Posted by ellobo
    Today I recieved a 42 inch smoothbore 24 ga. barrel and other parts. It was shipped from Track of the Wolf and the packaging was superb.
    The barrel was strapped to a pc of wood, the other parts were in heavy duty plastic shipping bags and the long box was filled tightly with foam peanuts (damn things cling to everything). The ends of the long box was sealed substantialy to prevent the barrel exiting. The shipper was FedEx. That is how barrels should be shipped.

El Lobo
    Flintlock or cap gun project comming? I love those big boxes from Track and other places that sell "real" ML stuff!

ellobo

It will be an early (1760's) trade gun with the round face lock using my last pc of walnut. Nice rifles, escpecialy the Marshal rifle. I made one of those for a guy here with full carving. Did you make those? Nice job.

El Lobo

Eric in NC

Did the bottom two - I just did the finishing on the top gun (11 gauge smoothbore).

Good luck on the trade gun - sounds nice.

ellobo

FYI, the top gun is a copy of what is known as the "Marshal" gun. Supposedly it was made by Albrecht, one of the early German emmigrant gunsmiths. The original is still in existance. The original is a rifle. The two you made were known as "shimmels" by the Germans which is a plain working rifle which is what the majority of the rifles made were. Nice engraving on the last one. E-mail me for more info if you like.

El Lobo

Smitherz24
    I'm not sure if I've missed it somewhere or I just haven't read the correct thread, but I'm wondering if I am sending out a barreled action if I need to go through someone that has an FFL? any info would be awesome, and thanks!

Basic Member
    Barrel - no
    Action - yes to FFL

stangfish
    Quote Originally Posted by Smitherz24 View Post
    I'm not sure if I've missed it somewhere or I just haven't read the correct thread, but I'm wondering if I am sending out a barreled action if I need to go through someone that has an FFL? any info would be awesome, and thanks!

If there is an action/reciever involved....Stripped, complete rifle or barreled action-Ship to an FFL for out of state transfers. In state at your own discretion. Any part that is not considered an action or a reciever, No FFL. AR 15's the lower is considered the reciever.
    Last edited by stangfish; 01-18-2013 at 09:02 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast