Thread: question on the 110/111/116 series versus the AXIS...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

question on the 110/111/116 series versus the AXIS...

First time posting in this section. Anyways I recently purchased a .223 Axis and am very pleased with it. I did the trigger work on it and have a 4-12x40 Redfield on it and it will consistently shoot under an inch and occasionally under a half inch for 4 shot groups at 100yds.

I am now in the market for a .308 bolt gun for deer hunting/ recreational shooting and am wondering what i am gaining if I go with this series of rifles versus the axis. Are the factory synthetic stocks any better on the 110 series? Is the accu-trigger any better than a worked-over Axis trigger? Is the stainless steel any better on the Weather Warrior versus the Axis? It's hard to justify spending hundreds more on anything else when the Axis shoots so well. But i would like something more solid fealing for a big game rifle. I currently have an ultralight all-weather Ruger M77 .30-06 and a Browning BLR .30-06 and they are both great deer guns but not very tight grouping compared to these Savage's. They also kick like hell at the bench. I have been told .308 is more pleasant but have never shot one. I really don't want to go under .30 caliber as they kill so well with Hornady SST's. ;D

Thanks for any imput you all can give me.
    Axis .223 with 4x12x40 Redfield Revolution
    Stainless Axis .30-06 with 3.5x10x40 VX3 Leupold.

Re: question on the 110/111/116 series versus the AXIS...

Ok- I just did some more looking and I think the Savage 11 FCNS .308 is what i would be interested in. Has detachable mag, accu-trigger and accu-stock. Sells for $565 at buds so should be about that at my local shop. It is better looking to my eye than the axis but still wondering if it is worth the extra money. I can't justify an extra $100 for stainless steel. They need to be cleaned either way and I already have my Ruger all-weather for when it's really nasty. I will keep researching.
    Axis .223 with 4x12x40 Redfield Revolution
    Stainless Axis .30-06 with 3.5x10x40 VX3 Leupold.

82boy

Quote Originally Posted by farmer44mag
    Are the factory synthetic stocks any better on the 110 series?
    Not by much, but they feel better, and there is a ton of aftermerket possibility unlike the Axis.

Is the accu-trigger any better than a worked-over Axis trigger?
    By far, much better.

Is the stainless steel any better on the Weather Warrior versus the Axis?
    Same steel, finsh may be slightly better. For a cheap hunting rifle the Axis fits the bill, but in my opinion once you get a Savage you will want to throw away your axis, it just is a far better built and designed gun.

Basic Member

Even the accu-stocks benefit from bedding.

I purchased a Savage package rifle in .308 (non accu-trigger, regular stock) and reinforced the forend with arrow shafts, lightened up the trigger myself, and put a better scope on it. I just recently purchased a 10 round mag and extended magazine release from Darkeagle Custom. I keep meaning to bed the action.

The Axis rifles were tempting. I was thrown off by the magazines and the plastic mag release.