Thread: Savage's 100 yd test range???

tvtv

Savage's 100 yd test range???

I moved from a .223 LRPV 9 twist to a Savage .223 F/TR 7 twist to shoot heavier bullets at longer ranges. IT DOESN'T. In fact, it shoots 69 gr bullets better than anything heavier. I sent it back to Savage and got it back with a ".7 target" with a flier which made it more like a barely moa test from their indoor 100 yrd range.

My question is this: how can a 100 yrd indoor test range with a 69gn bullet be a valid test for a gun that is made to shoot 200-600 yds with bullets that range from 69 (at the low end) to 85 gn?

I called them and they said the 100yd is all we have.

If a gun shoots ok at a 100 with a light bullet does that mean it should shoot as well at 200-600?

1Shot

Re: Savage's 100 yd test range???

Quote Originally Posted by tvtv

My question is this: how can a 100 yrd indoor test range with a 69gn bullet be a valid test for a gun that is made to shoot 200-600 yds with bullets that range from 69 (at the low end) to 85 gn
    ...They do not figure in the trigger puller & shooting conditions...If you're looking for a hole driller, buy a rail gun..

lrpv-shooter

My lrpv in 223 1:7 twist was a shooter, .2-.3 5 shot groups with 80 gr. Bergers and rl 15

Twist does not mean accuracy only stability.

How far are you shooting for your load work?
    More shooting, less typing.

Quote Originally Posted by lrpv-shooter
    My lrpv in 223 1:7 twist was a shooter, .2-.3 5 shot groups with 80 gr. Bergers and rl 15
    then why did you switch if it shot that good with 80gr bullets? Was this at 200-600yards like you want it to shoot.

I know you didnt make the same mistake that you said Savage did and do your load work at 100yds,right.........

”I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.”
    ~Clint Eastwood

stangfish

Is this a general complaint for you to vent frustration or are you ater some assistance to get your bug holes right? If the latter there are lots of things you left out. There is no information on your experience level. Trigger pull? Where you bagged in? In a lead sled? Off a bipod? Do you hand load? How many loads have you tried? Which bullets? What recipe: powder / grains?. Hot/cold?

Regards
    Fish

82boy

To start Savage doesn't garentee that any rifle will shoot any size group from any distance, if they did the price would go up substantianly. If you want a gun that is garenteed to shoot a certain size average groups, then you need to look elsewere. Quarter minute magnums has many garenteed guns at around $3,500 to $4,000 dollars that will shoot, what your aksing for. http://quarterminutemagnums.com/inve...ing_rifles.asp

A bit of information about savages testing. Savage doesn't test fire all there guns only a select few, and what is returned. They have an indoor range on the second floor of the factory, the range is 100 yards. I am sure that land is at a preminum in Westfield, MA ,and building a longer range would cost a small fortune. The guns are shot with factory amunition, not tuned for the gun. (Now think about this, how much factory ammo is loaded with heavy bullets?) The gun is straped into a vice, and fitted with a small scope (4 to 6 power). The gun is fired in 3 shot groups. Every target I have ever seen from Savage always has 2 rounds touching and one that looks like it was intentianly thrown out, and the targets are around .5 to .7 in size. My guess is, Savages desired groups is anything that is under 1 MOA, which is a bit over 1 inch at 100 yards. This is what other manufactors hold as a exceptable range.

Now moving on, every barrel has it own personality, mabe the barrel you got doesn't like what you trying to feed it, try other heavy bullets, try diferent seating depths, try different primers. You also have to remember when shooting heavy bullets that are designed to shoot at longer ranges such as VLD's, that they may not shoot good at all at 100 yards. Have you tried shooting the gun with the loads at longer ranges such as 200-600 yards? If your desire is to have a gun that shoots further distances then dont worry what it shoots like at 100 yards, but tuen the gun to preform at the distances your shooting at. Just because is shoots bad at 100 yards doesn't mean it will not shoot like a house of fire out at 600 yards.

tru dat....

+1 with 82boy.
    .22LR * 6.5x47 Lapua * .223 Rem * .308 Win * 260 Rem * Large Cojones!
    [I]"I can prove anything by statistics except the truth."[/I]