Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Duracoat... With errors!

scnewt

Duracoat... With errors!

Hey guys, I need some help. I just finished painting duracoat on my bolt handle and 2 of my pistols the only problem is I messed up and got a few runs
    >. Any idea on how to fix it? I thought about sanding it down and applying a coat of krylon on top of the duracoat since duracoat is expensive. Thanks in advance!

stangfish

Re: Duracoat... With errors!

Well if you want to get good at it, you need to practice with "IT".

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by scnewt
    Hey guys, I need some help. I just finished painting duracoat on my bolt handle and 2 of my pistols the only problem is I messed up and got a few runs
    >. Any idea on how to fix it? I thought about sanding it down and applying a coat of krylon on top of the duracoat since duracoat is expensive. Thanks in advance!
    I would sand were the runs are, then light sand the whole thing with 600, then buy the duracoat clear and clear the whole project. it should blend ok. or you could do the the same with can of Krylon or automotive clear. Good luck...

Eric in NC

Good luck sanding the duracoat!

scnewt

Re: Re: Duracoat... With errors!

Yea, I'm attempting to sand it off of my hands now! This will be my last time using the shake n pray kit. Worked out the last two times but that was on savage actions which do not have any cuts or grooves to worry about. I might try krylon. Cheap and their is already 3 layers of duracoat so this is just strictly a cosmetic issue.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

nuclabuyer

I would bead blast it off and start over. You will get a new fresh surface for the paint to stick to and you wont have any runs to try to fix.

scnewt

If I could blast I would but I don't have the equipment.

ellobo

Try your local vocational college. They might be willing to do it and propbably do have bead or some media for blasting.

El Lobo

seanhagerty

Pictures would help!!

scnewt

Re: Re: Re: Duracoat... With errors!

Quote Originally Posted by ellobo
    Try your local vocational college. They might be willing to do it and propbably do have bead or some media for blasting.

El Lobo
    Good idea. I can get some pictures monday. I am away now trying to get some hunting in before the end of deer season here in Alabama.

rdfrench

I'm thinking about using the shake n spray kit on my savage action. Did it work out pretty well? Do you coat inside the action as well? Not trying to hijack the thread just curious.

deerhunter85

We're can you buy it at I haven't see it in a can

scnewt

The shake and spray kit is ok. I used it on two savage actions and it did fine. The problem with the kit is the prevail sprayer thats included. It does not give consistant spray so what happens is that it switch from a light spray to a heavy spray randomly. Thats what caused my problems this last time. I highly recommend for you to buy the duracoat and a sprayer separate. I have bought three kits already and if I had just bought the paint and not the kit everytime, I would have saved enough to have bought a spray gun too. I'm very unhappy with the way the kit did this time. I think I might just buy the paint and send it and the pistols to an auto body shop this time because it's going to take allot of work to fix this now. I even noticed last night that the bolt handle off of my savage has bubbles on it.>

If you still want the kit it's available at Midway usa or directly from them.

scnewt

One more thing, I did coat the inside of my actions on the savages, however I would not do that to any automatic gun. The paint wore down on the bolt raceways and it worked out fine. I just cycled the bolt while the paint was not fully cured (within a month of painting) to make sure I still had good clearance.

scnewt

Great, the matte black duracoat appears to be gloss now on my guns. Leads me to believe that there is more wrong with the paint than I suspected.

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by scnewt
    Great, the matte black duracoat appears to be gloss now on my guns. Leads me to believe that there is more wrong with the paint than I suspected.

Get the Tactical black. It is much flatter than the matte black.

scnewt

Ill remember that but for the meantime I'm going to try and repair the paint. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rdfrench
    I'm thinking about using the shake n spray kit on my savage action. Did it work out pretty well? Do you coat inside the action as well? Not trying to hijack the thread just curious.
    Don't do it.... Duracoat is a great finish (for what it is) and can be nice - but their kit with the pressurized can will NOT do the job very well at all (you'll be one of the lucky few if it does). Have a buddy let you borrow his air brush and compressor (or go rent one) if you want it to come out correct and looking sweet.
    .22LR * 6.5x47 Lapua * .223 Rem * .308 Win * 260 Rem * Large Cojones!
    [I]"I can prove anything by statistics except the truth."[/I]

Basic Member

I have done several firearms using a Preval sprayer that turned out first rate.

stangfish

Quote Originally Posted by TORCHRIDER
    I have done several firearms using a Preval sprayer that turned out first rate.
    Yep, It was when I started using an airbrush I started having trouble. With the prevail you need to clean the nozzle after every coat..or even more often than that.

scnewt

I think that it's chancey and now that the paint has messed up I will need to buy more anyway. I might as well get a spray gun since this just went from a $40 job to a $80 job because of a double order of paint. Spray guns are just better and I don't want to risk it again.

maddogg316

You might have gotten bloss black instead of matte!
    typically gloss based paints tend to get runs more then the flat based paint products

scnewt

Could be true, it has allot more shine than the savage actions I duracoated in the past. Maybe its due to mismarking at the factory or the fact that I really cleaned these parts good before painting. I mean I took the finish down to bare metal and used brake parts cleaner to remove any lube or residue.

maddogg316

That could be part of it as well. if you had nice shiny parts the paint might not have had much to stick to.
    did you rough up the surfaces with some scotch bright first?

I use Duracoat all the time but use an airbrush. I am not familiar with the spray kits but, mixing the paint and hardner can change the gloss effect of flat paint. The tactical colors are the flattest colors but even if the directions are not followed and to much hardner is added it will shine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast