Thread: Savage 111 dual port?????

Savage 111 dual port?????

So I have been thinking about this for a while now and was wondering what you all would think about it. Would it be possible or safe to mill a second port for faster single round loading in to a 111 action in a 338 EDGE? I know there is a dual port action already being made...but I'm just curious about one in a long action.

82boy

Re: Savage 111 dual port?????

One small problem with your plan, Savage doesn't offer a long action in a taget action.

Yes I know. So you are saying that a dual port can only be made on a target action and not a regular 111 action?

A dual port action still has a strip across the top to give it some rigidity. I would think that if you mill anymore off of a 111 action for a left port it may make the action too weak and could be prone to flexing, especially since it would be a repeater model.

Not sure cause i never seen it done. Just my thoughts.
    ”I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.”
    ~Clint Eastwood

Basic Member

Talk to Fred or Lisa at Sharp Shooter Supply. If it can be done they will no.

Terry

82boy

Honestly, you dont need anything done to the action to feed it left handed, I feed all my repeaters from the left side, once you get the hang of it, you be loading almost as fast as a dual port. I find that it is easier to load them if you grab the round by the neck with your left thumb, index, and midle finger, with the bolt open (Right hand.) swing the round over the hump and drop it into the port primer side first, let go and it should be in the port. At first you may have problems with the round bouncing out of the port, and what I do is take a piece of cardboard, and make a catch on the right side. (I usualy mount it on my ken ferral base.)

Thanks for all the info guys. 82boy, I have never tried loading like that, I will give it a try! Thanks

82boy

Quote Originally Posted by silvercreekguide
    Thanks for all the info guys. 82boy, I have never tried loading like that, I will give it a try! Thanks
    It will take you a bit to get use to it. I found that for me I like loading out of a ammo box with the bullets faced up. I lay that box under the rifle, and I grab the shell with the left hand, in the manner I spoke of. It work great for me.

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Balding
    Talk to Fred or Lisa at Sharp Shooter Supply. If it can be done they will no.

Terry
    I am getting a model 111 in rb rp converted to lb dual port. They can do it. When I asked them about the action flexing, they said it wouldn't be a problem.
    They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Who did you send it to? And how much did it cost???

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by silvercreekguide
    Who did you send it to? And how much did it cost???
    I sent my 111 to SSS. As far as the price goes, I am getting a lot of action work done. I'll know in the end once everything is itemized in a few weeks when SSS is done.
    They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.