Thread: vortex viper pst

vortex viper pst

Is anyone using these scopes? I am thinking of getting one here in a couple weeks, but want to hear from poeple with experience about how they work, look, perform.

Basic Member

Re: vortex viper pst

I have used a couple and will be getting another soon. They are great scopes with some nice features. I wouldn't be afraid to drop the cash if I were you. It is backed by some great support from Vortex as well. I highly doubt you will regret putting one on your gun. They are clear, the turrets have a great feel to them, and always track/return to zero.

rusty815

I heard the 6-24x version was spectacular and unbeatable in its price range, but I heard the 4-16x has glass that was sub par compared to other similarly priced scopes, such as the weaver tactical 3-15x.

Aircraftmech76

Quote Originally Posted by rusty815
    I heard the 6-24x version was spectacular and unbeatable in its price range, but I heard the 4-16x has glass that was sub par compared to other similarly priced scopes, such as the weaver tactical 3-15x.
    I have a 4-16x50 PST FFP MRAD, and I don't have any of the sub-par descriptions you mention. I couldn't be happier with mine. Glass is crystal clear, clicks are positive with no backlash, and the turrets have the best feel of any I've tried in that particular diameter. They hit that one out of the park! Illumination is perfect, and the "off" settings between intensity settings is a very nice touch.

Kevin

rusty815

I didn't mean the glass was sub-par, its still great glass, I said that when compared to other scopes in its price range, its sub-par, but not by much mind you, its still spectacular and one of the best bang for your buck scopes out there. I'd still recommend the weaver tactical as being better value though, its cheaper, many say the glass is better, and has most of the features that are on the viper (no zero stop, but it has locking turrets).

I have one of the Weaver 3-15x50 FFP mil/mil w/ illuminated EDMR reticle. If thats the magnification range you want, for the price (~$700 on sale @ Midway) its dang tough to beat. The only real criticism that I've seen of it is that its a looong way from the center of the reticle to the first hash mark (a full mil) which can make precision hold-offs a little tougher than necessary. Is it nit-picking? Yes. Is it valid... I suppose so.

I also have a Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 SFP mil/mil w/ illuminated EBR-MRAD reticle. In casual use i.e. taking it to the range and an informal match or two, I don't have any reason to complain. Granted, I'm not as critical of optical quality as some... then again I'm the tone-deaf ijit that can barely tell the difference between speakers from Radio Shack and the high end stuff out of Crutchfield's I know for the amount of money that we spend on glass no one wants to take a chance on getting a scope that doesn't perform... but I'd hazard a guess that the 'sub-par glass' rumors are a bit over-blown.

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by rusty815
    I've used both and couldn't tell the difference.

Basic Member

I just ordered a PST 6-24x50 FFP MOA/MOA today. I haven't had a chance to personally inspect one, so I bought this blind. I'm anxious to see how good it is. When I get it I'll do a side by side comparison with my Mk4 ERT 6.5-20x50 FFP TMR. I'm curious to see how the two compare. If the Vortex is as good as people say it is, I may swap out the Mk 4 for another PST.

Andrew

sounds like good responses from you guys here. i may have to check out the weaver just to see what that is like, but ill be making a decision this week.

andrew-
    once you get it youll have to tell us how it is

AKShooter

My 22-250 wears a 6-24 ffp pst mrad/mrad. I love it, not a nightforce or s&b but the options and glass quality are great for the price. Cameraland is great to deal with. A Chronograph, jbm ballistics calc and Viper pst is a deadly combo for knowing what to dope the scope for. 50 grain vmax at a measly 3500fps are hardly audible in snowing weather when they hit steel at 600yds lol.

sounds good ill be using a program abuddy of mine hooked me up with that you can correct by shooting to the tran sonic region and telling the program what you really had to shoot to get there so it can correct the data. so far if i can load to what i would like to get near i will be shooting to 1650 ish for that region

ill be ordering my scope tomorrow cant wait to get it.
    thanks to doug@cameralandny

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by yorketransport
    I just ordered a PST 6-24x50 FFP MOA/MOA today. I haven't had a chance to personally inspect one, so I bought this blind. I'm anxious to see how good it is. When I get it I'll do a side by side comparison with my Mk4 ERT 6.5-20x50 FFP TMR. I'm curious to see how the two compare. If the Vortex is as good as people say it is, I may swap out the Mk 4 for another PST.

Andrew
    Well, apparently I lied. I got an email today telling me that the PST was back ordered until April. That's alright though, because while I was killing time at Cabelas today I picked up a Trijicon Accupoint 5-20x50. I found it in the Bargain Cave for $650 with the box, papers, and warranty card. Not bad for a $1000 scope. I still want to get the Vortex though. While the glass on the Trijicon looks pretty good, the Vortex PST has a lot of features I'm interested in trying.

Andrew

i should be getting my scope this wednesday. cant wait to set it up and see how it looks

prossound

I just got finished mounting my new 6X24 SFP MIL/MIL and I could not be more impressed. looking at it side by side to the Luepy on my .223 Savage tells me I need to order another Vortex. the current rings are mediums and will be replaced asap with a set of lows.

thats gonna be a real nice set up when you get those low rings