Thread: .224 cal bullets?

Basic Member

.224 cal bullets?

Hey there everybody, I was talking with a good friend tonight about possibly buying some .224 cal bullets and splitting it half. We searched a bit and decided to come back to it later. We are shopping for a 60 gr bullet hp or vmax style (meaning fast expansion). Of course in bulk from 1000+....I have personally considered 55 gr stuff as well since it opens more options as well.... also trying to find the cheapest Ha! Duno now that im walking myself through what i have put down on this post it kinda seems dumb...cheap and good quality dont go together....Anyways, we thought about the Hollow point Varmint Nightmare, and the Dogtown bullets....I have always been partial to Sierra 52&3 gr MKhps as well....and vmaxs have treated me well over the few years too.... Guess I would like to know what you guys think, I allways try to think simple, its a bullet, put it in the right place and you will kill what your pulling the trigger on.... these bullets will be used in .223, .22-250, .220 swift, and .22-243 middlested, also be using them for dispatching coyotes, prairie dogs, porcupines, badgers, skunks and other small vermin.... Thanks in advance!
    Henry.

Re: .224 cal bullets?

60 grain V-Max will fill the bill for things like yotes at long range. For tiny critters (P-Dogs) at shorter ranges out to 300 yards or so, you can't beat the 52 or 53 grain SMKs. A 55 grain V-Max would be a good all around choice if you want to keep it simple.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

Basic Member

Thanks for the input! I think the 60 gr vmax sounds like it will be the one for the big guns, as for the .223 i think that anything will work to flip little dogs around. I appreciate it!
    Henry.

efw

Midway has those 50 gr VMax for $40-ish/250.

Paired w/ H335 (gotta try TAC next!) these are ubber accurate through my 1 in 9" twisted AR, though I haven't had the opportunity to see how the local 'yote population likes 'em...

Basic Member

I shoot more of the Midsouth Varmint Nightmare 55 grain bullets than anything else. They are @ $42 per 500. That comes out to be about $10/100 with shipping counted in. These bullets are the Hornady 55 soft points with a cannelure. They perform well on varmints and predators. My son and I have 3 AR 15 between us, so we go through quite a bit of ammo. This kind of value helps us keep shooting.

Basic Member

The best deal on good varmint bullets I have ever run across is when Mid South has their sale on "no name" blems. Last year we bought six or seven thousand and four thousand came in the original box from the manufacturer. On the end of the box it said "Hornady V-Max 50 gr." I believe these cost around seven or eight cents each. They shot just as well as the ones you buy at the gun shop, just not as pretty. I am going to really jump on these If I get another chance.
    Charlie
    laportecharlie

Quote Originally Posted by LHitchcox
    I shoot more of the Midsouth Varmint Nightmare 55 grain bullets than anything else. They are @ $42 per 500. That comes out to be about $10/100 with shipping counted in. These bullets are the Hornady 55 soft points with a cannelure. They perform well on varmints and predators. My son and I have 3 AR 15 between us, so we go through quite a bit of ammo. This kind of value helps us keep shooting.
    They have em in hollow point too. A good bullet at a great price.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by GaCop
    Quote Originally Posted by LHitchcox
    They have em in hollow point too. A good bullet at a great price.
    Yep. Excellent deal. Look at shipping price beacuse Wideners has them as well for a little more.

http://www.wideners.com/itemdetail.cfm?item_id=1953&dir=278|281|1081|1141

Basic Member

yes i have definatly been toying with the idea of midsouth and midways, dog bullets! Im glad to hear some other success storys with em! As for the blemished bullets your not the first person to tell me about em....i did a search on em a couple weeks ago and couldnt find any. i just might have to pick up some of the bulk company bullets....heard midways was nosler and midsouth was horn, i beleive....thanks for the replys guys! Im soakin it up!
    H.

Basic Member

I think MidSouth only has those blems once a year. If you get on their E-mail list they will let you know when they have them. But you will have to act fast because I'm going to get a bunch of them next time!
    The 34 gr Varmint Nightmare Xtreme from MidSouth shot a .378" five shot group out of my CZ 221 Fireball. Not too bad for a discount bullet.
    Charlile
    laportecharlie

wapaloose

I use the 34 gr Varmint Nightmare Xtreme from MidSouth in model 40 hornet, And they work great.