Thread: New build, need help.

mike82352

New build, need help.

I'm wanting to build a model 12 in .223 to a .308 or 300WSM? and have a few questions. First, can I do a 300WSM on the model 12 SA with a small shank? ( if-so, good or bad idea?) Besides the barrel, is all I need,a new bolt head? I'm planning on getting a Shilen barrel, a XLR stock and would like to get a fluted bolt and a tactical bolt handle. Does anyone know where I can get a fluted bolt? Where to buy the bolt head and handle? Thanks in advanced, I know somebody will help me.

Re: New build, need help.

As a bit of a guess, I would say that you SHOULDN'T. From the factory they went with a large shank for the WSM series, probably for a reason. Now YMMV...
    The bolt, I would ask our own Fred Moreo, of Savage Shooters Supply. Also from them, or Tactical Works you can get bolt handles. Fred should have the bolt heads.
    Of course you could always use yahoo, google, etc. to find Midway, brownells, etc....
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

Basic Member

There are a few here that say not an issue, on the small shank, but I have no personal experience on it. Another option would be the Ruger Compact Magnum. It fits easily into the short action, and from what I can tell will give just slightly less than 300 WM velocities. It will out run the 308 easily as well as the old '06.

mike82352

OK, just got off the phone with SSS, got the bolt, bolt handle,standard baffle and a new barrel lug ordered. Decided to just do the .308.
    I really wanted to do my 110 FP from .223 to 30-06, but found out that the mag opening is not large enough, darn, guess I'll have to buy another savage. Is there anything else that I'm missing with the 308 project?

jo191145

Do you want a functioning magazine on the model 12 or are you happy with one at a time?

mike82352

I am planning on getting a stock from XLR industries with the DTM.

jo191145

Well then a barrel and the tools to change it should be sufficient.