Thread: Savage Barrel vs E.R. Shaw Barrel Help

Savage Barrel vs E.R. Shaw Barrel Help

I'm changing out my Savage Short Action for a 7mm-08 barrel and Northlander sells Savage barrels (22") for 80.00 and E.R. Shaw (24") sell for 159.00 through Numrich. I wanted a 24" barrel, but I would use a 22". I just gave my grandson my Remington 700 7mm-08 (24" barrel) that I used for hunting when I go out West and this will be the same setup and I have taken shots at 312 yards and 416 yards for mule deer and have taken them down. With velocity in mind would their be much of a difference between the two lengths. I guess I could up and go with Pac-Nor for 230.00 and wait for 10-12 weeks. Everything being equal I would like to see 1" MOA at 100yds.

My question is which one would you pick for your hunting rifle.

dbuck

Dirk

Re: Savage Barrel vs E.R. Shaw Barrel Help

I'd go with the Savage barrel on a hunting rifle. BTW, 1 MOA is 1.047' at 100 yards. The two terms (inch and MOA) are not exactly the same.

Eric in NC

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk
    I'd go with the Savage barrel on a hunting rifle. BTW, 1 MOA is 1.047' at 100 yards. The two terms (inch and MOA) are not exactly the same.
    Actually it is not 1.047' (feet) but much closer to 1.047" (inches). 1.0471996" is more like it.

If you are going to nit pick, be accurate about it.

Basic Member

Numrich has better pricing on the Shaw than Shaw does, and sends them blued. This may fit the bill for a 25-06 for me, but I also want a 6.5x55. It is tough to find these for sub $100 (want longer than 22" 25-06 for the Savage takeoff)
    --------Savage - the last refuge for the persecuted left handed rifleman----------------

Dirk

Quote Originally Posted by Eric in NC
    Actually it is not 1.047' (feet) but much closer to 1.047" (inches). 1.0471996" is more like it.

You are right Eric, how STUPID of me! It was a TYPO you a$$ and I rounded off to the nearest .001" OK?

Eric in NC

Just trying to be as helpful as you are my good man! ;D

jlcpls

dang Dirk, You could have just as easily found humor in this and laughed a little .

Wound up a little?

In-laws coming to town for Thanksgiving?

And for the original poster, both barrels are plenty accurate for a hunting rifle, but if you feel the need for speed that 2" (that's inches, guys) will give you, go with the 24". I wouldn't feel any regrets with the Savage barrel.

Basic Member

What is the website for Numrich? I'd be interested in seeing what barrel options he has in the ER Shaw.

Dirk

Numrich Arms= http://gunpartscorp.com/

JCalhoun

I have a 20" ER Shaw barrel in .300 Savage that shoots quite well. It will put 150gr Remington Core-Lokts into a 1.45" group at 150 yards.

Cycler

A word of warning about the Savage factory 7mm-08 barrel. If it is a recent one, the twist may be 1:11.5" instead of the industry norm of 1:9" to 1:9.5". That's too slow to stabilize anything heavier than 140 gr bullrts and maybe not them too well either.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric in NC
    Actually 1.0472 at 7000'.

CJ in WY

The 22" 708 well used Savage takeoff barrel I bought last summer was MOD(minute of deer) to 673 this fall. Took a little range time to find a powder it liked and dial it in but the 120BT did a fine job. This happens to be an old barrel with the 9.5 twist but for my use the 11.5 twist might be better??
    You could have 2 Savage barrels for the price of a Shaw and I doubt the 2" of barrel would make it twice as good.
    To answer the next question, get the second barrel in 243=Just because everyone should have a 243 ;D