Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 6MM SUPER LONG RANGE

Xdeano

Re: 6MM SUPER LONG RANGE

Quote Originally Posted by Tonysnoo
    Quote Originally Posted by Xdeano
    I'm using standard LR primers in the SLR with H1000 too, i do get an extra 100fps of velocity with a mag primer but my results are no more consistent. It's a nice tight powder column and ignition is just fine.

xdeano
    Seems like most are going with the 4831. Has the H1000 worked better for you?

Im hoping to get my SLR in a few weeks. We'll start working up the setup then.

We already formed some winchester brass. It was so easy. A few had a bit of wrinkle just below the shoulder even with plenty of lube. I guess we do have to do have to rely on a bit of fire forming?

Yeah i got a little wrinkle in my brass also. Nothing to worry about, it'll blow out and it won't mess you up with load development. I like the H1000, it is a little cooler so barrel life will be extended a little more. I don't have the velocity with it though. If you want velocity go with the H4831sc or H4350. both are good velocity powders.

xdeano

Tonysnoo

Thanks

I have my action and barrel back chambered and ready to go, so I'm working on the stock. Hoping to fire it in the next couple of weeks. I'm going to play with 105 amax's and 115 DTACs with the 4831sc and the H1000.

I see lots of recomendations on bullet seating depth from .050 jump to .015 in the lands. That will be an interesting bunch of tests. Going to wear a barrel out just figuring out where to run it....LOL

Tonysnoo

A fellow I met at a local show. He works with for a nearby com college and their gun smith program.

Brunos had a kreiger barrel in stock. A reamer from 4D and we were set. Ill know more when we start shooting it.

Im hoping to play out at 1000 as well as some long range varment clankers.

Tonysnoo

I got to shoot five loads today (50 shots) out of my slr

3 with 105 amax 2 with 115 dtacs . So far the nod goes to the amax with 43 gr of 4831sc.

In fairness to the dtacs, i think i was getting shaky since they were the last of bunch. Ill have to do a dtac only day

The gun makes me smile :)

Tonysnoo

I've now got about 150 rounds down range. I'm still learning things. We have yet to chrony it. I've shot a long range silhouette and a 1000 yard match with only a little testing. It does better than I anticipated.

My goal was to build an entry level shooter. Other than the kreiger barrel it still has the savage action, accu trigger and accustock. I've mostly shot DTACs and Amaxs with 4831 per recommendations, but now we are going to experiment with a bunch of different recipes and a chrony.

Xdeano

Firing virgin brass at 1K isn't a problem. They shoot basically the same as a second fire brass.

Try some of the 105g Berger Hunting VLD with 47.4g H1000 it gives me 3050fps at 75F. But shoots bug holes. Work up a load of course.

Still haven't gotten my hands on any of the hybrid bergers yet. That might be interesting.

xdeano

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Xdeano
    Try some of the 105g Berger Hunting VLD with 47.4g H1000 it gives me 3050fps at 75F. But shoots bug holes. Work up a load of course.
    Are you into the lands or jumping?

Xdeano

I'm jumping .008 in anticipation of .010 due to barrel wear. As of lately, i'm still at .008 jump. Barrels doing well. I'm very impressed with barrel temp. I can shoot 5 rounds quick and my barrel isn't even warm. I can't do this with any of my other guns, and i can attribute that to the h1000.

My load:
    Berger 105g Hunting vld
    H1000 -47.7g
    Rem brass trimmed to 2.034
    Fed 210M primers
    24" barrel suppressed.
    1000 ft asl.

xdeano

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12