Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 6MM SUPER LONG RANGE

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    stewart33

6MM SUPER LONG RANGE

I am thinking of a new build on a short action and am wondering if anyone has experience with the 6mm super long range? It sounds like a great round for target/varmint with the ability to push heavy 115gr bullets at reasonable fps (3000) without being loaded to the max! Seems to me, barrel life would also be good and the brass is easily formed by lengthening the neck by changing shoulder to 30 degrees on .243 win cases.

Just a thought

Re: 6MM SUPER LONG RANGE

I don't have experience with that round but it sounds like it will perform similar to the 243AI but with the longer neck of the 6mm Rem.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

Cover Dog

I think that is going to be my next build. A lot of info on wwwsccurateshooter.com

Try this for 6mmSLR info: http://www.6mmar.com/Super_LR.html

Basic Member

Check out nodakoutdoors.com and check their forum. A friend of mine just built one and posted a lot of info on it. He is a pretty good guy to ask questions.

82boy

The only advantage I can see is it would be cheaper to use 243 brass over 6.5x47 lapua brass. The round sounds like another someone re-inventing the wheel.

how dose it compare to the 6mm rem AI?
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

okie2

HOW DOES IT COMPARE TO THE 6-06 ACKLEY

Quote Originally Posted by Cover Dog
    I think that is going to be my next build. A lot of info on wwwsccurateshooter.com

Try this for 6mmSLR info: http://www.6mmar.com/Super_LR.html
    copied from http://www.6mmar.com/Super_LR.html

Conceptually, the 6mm Super LR is like a long bodied 6XC (case body about .120" longer). The Super LR has a long neck (.321" vs. the .263" long neck of the parent .243 Winchester case). The Super LR also has a 30 degree shoulder angle vs. the 20 degree shoulder angle of the .243 Winchester parent case. The Super LR has a case capacity of approximately 54 gr. of water weight vs. 49 gr. of water capacity of a 6XC and 55 gr. of water capacity for the .243 Winchester.

Testing has shown that the Super LR has the capability to run the 115’s up around 3100 fps without issues. If you like to shoot the 105-108 gr. class of 6mm bullets, the 6mm Super LR can also push them up in the 3150-3200 fps range
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by 82boy
    The only advantage I can see is it would be cheaper to use 243 brass over 6.5x47 lapua brass. The round sounds like another someone re-inventing the wheel.
    +1......
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

okie2

HOW CAN IT BE BETTER THAN THE 243 WHEN IT HOLDS LESS POWDER.
    LOOKS LIKE A WASTE OF TIME AND MONEY.

helotaxi

It's a wildcat and loads haven't been pressure tested. They're likely running it well in excess of the SAAMI pressure for the .243 and possibly beyond the 65kpsi SAAMI max for any cartridge. You also have to look at barrel length that they're testing with. Most long range rifles run a very long barrel to maximize velocity.

helotaxi

Depending on what "pressure signs" you're looking for, they may not show up until you're well into scary.

okie2

Quote Originally Posted by 82boy
    How can you make a 51 mm long case out of a 47mm long case?

That's what they were trying to do with the 243 wssm.They ran pressures so high you needed a hammer to get the bolt open.You don't see Winchester or Browning pushing them any more.Cooper doesn't either.I had a varmint stalker,very nice gun and accurate,but had pressure issues.
    "An armed society is a polite society"
    "...shall not be infringed" What's the confusion?

helotaxi

The .243WSSM goes over the edge quickly. Rather than pressure signs showing and getting worse with incremental powder increases, it goes from no pressure signs to signs of being way over pressure in one powder increment.

Xdeano

Im the guy from over on nodakoutdoors that has one of these crappy cartridges. Ill just say if youve never shot this round you should just go sit in the corner and color. This cartridges maybe a reinvention of the wheel but what is any cartridge? I can easily run my 6slr up to 3200fps in a 24" barrel. But i have a barrel node at 3150fps. I dont get pressure signs until im up past 3200 a ways. These numbers are with the 105g hunting vld.

So if you're thinking of a round where you dont have to fireform brass and is scarry accurate with the lowest es/sd numbers that ive ever done with cheap win brass give the slr a try before you knock it off the list.

When i was looking for a new cartridge the cm came up but i chose the slr because of the extra work involved in the cm. I just load and go.

The cm is only slightly larger case cap than the 6slr. You're buring a hair more powder with a shorter neck and most guys are still gett 3-4000 rounds through their cm. Im hoping for similar in the slr. The cm is blown out the slr is crushed down. Take your pick. Either one is an awesome little round. But ill bring you back full circle with fire forming. I hate fireforming.

Xdeano

Quote Originally Posted by helotaxi
    The .243WSSM goes over the edge quickly. Rather than pressure signs showing and getting worse with incremental powder increases, it goes from no pressure signs to signs of being way over pressure in one powder increment.
    NO! It has been over pressure all along! It finely just showed to far over!
    That is why we have books that have limits not to exceed. And calipers to measure cases for expansion.

helotaxi

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Avenger
    Quote Originally Posted by helotaxi
    NO! It has been over pressure all along! It finely just showed to far over!
    That is why we have books that have limits not to exceed. And calipers to measure cases for expansion.
    I never said it wasn't over pressure. The point is that it doesn't show the signs of being over pressure until its WAY over pressure. You have to rely on the books and the chronograph, not "reading" cases.

Xdeano

Here is a pic for a comparison.

243, 6mmCM, 6mmSLR

Again the SLR is formed by compressing a 243win case down to 30 degrees and about .1 longer neck. The 6CM is a blown out case. It's formed basically the same way as a 243AI would be. (Fireformed). The cool thing about forming the SLR is that you can actually get .0015 head spacing with virgin brass by specing it off your chamber, so no fireforming. I resize my brass by doing a .0015 shoulder bump so it's consistent every single time. It loads and extracts like silk.

I'm a poor lazy bastard and would rather blow powder and bullets on what it's intended to be used for and not have to worry about wasting barrel life, and brass life.

But then i've got a buddy that's shooting a 115g out of his 243 at 3100fps, with no pressure signs, just a powder that he's cooked up. Unreal.

xdeano

Tonysnoo

Im real interested in the slr for my savage project. Suggestions for a turn key barrel?

Thanks!

Tonysnoo

You are talking a 6CM barrel?

You mentioned .25 MOA on your 3000 round barrel. If you don't mind sharing, what load?

Do you use standard or magnum primers with the H1000?

Thanks

Xdeano

I'm using standard LR primers in the SLR with H1000 too, i do get an extra 100fps of velocity with a mag primer but my results are no more consistent. It's a nice tight powder column and ignition is just fine.

xdeano

Tonysnoo

Quote Originally Posted by DGD6MM
    115 DTAC, 48.7 H-1000, 2.860 OAL, WLR Primer, FPS-3153

When I said have 1 chambered, I was talking about the 6SLR.
    Is it for sale? Or are you shooting it also?

Tonysnoo

Quote Originally Posted by DGD6MM
    I own nothing but 6CM's. They are not Turn Key. If the 6MM Competiton Match had not been designed I would be shooting the 6SLR.
    Sorry, i misunderstood.

I thought you meant, that you had one already chambered available...my bad

Tonysnoo

Quote Originally Posted by Xdeano
    I'm using standard LR primers in the SLR with H1000 too, i do get an extra 100fps of velocity with a mag primer but my results are no more consistent. It's a nice tight powder column and ignition is just fine.

xdeano
    Seems like most are going with the 4831. Has the H1000 worked better for you?

Im hoping to get my SLR in a few weeks. We'll start working up the setup then.

We already formed some winchester brass. It was so easy. A few had a bit of wrinkle just below the shoulder even with plenty of lube. I guess we do have to do have to rely on a bit of fire forming?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast