Thread: Replace Older Medium action bolt assy

Smile Replace Older Medium action bolt assy

OK, it took me forever to try this, and I'm sorry, but I also "stole" an older medium action at a gun show back a while. Talk about impulse buy, I thought it was a long action and didn't check. I just tried my Axis bolt with a 110 bolt handle. It appears the body length is correct, but the cocking cam is maybe .1 inch too far forward, resulting in about .1 inch cock on closing type of thing. I think the sear can be carefully trimmed by trial and error to fix this, because this means the firing pin stroke is about .1 too long also. Also, if the rear of the bolt slot at the top and the handle are slightly ramped you may be able to reduce the amount of sear modifying. The Axis BAS fits fine. Comments, Fred?
    The one who dies with the most toys still dies--except in Christ.

Basic Member
    The Axis bolt is longer than the 110 short, and the cross pin hole is is the wrong place. Besides that, the Axis bolt body has no groove for the rear baffle detent.
    The easiest way to fix your dilemma is to use a long action bolt body and shorten it from the front, re-drill the crosspin hole.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Well, the cross pin is not in the wrong place if you use all Axis parts except the bolt handle. Then you don't have to grind the bolt guide off the front baffle either. The groove for the rear baffle should be about the easiest thing I've tried recently. Edit: I see what you mean about the body though, that's where the cock on closing is coming from. I had guessed before I tried this that the rear baffle would have to be spaced out, or the extraction cam built up. So, now I see I was correct, or rather, we are both correct. I am not equipped to shorten and redrill a long bolt body, that's one thing for sure.
    Last edited by SFLEFTY; 10-03-2012 at 12:22 AM. Reason: Added more infor
    The one who dies with the most toys still dies--except in Christ.