Thread: Making stocks lighter

Basic Member

Making stocks lighter

Has anyone ever drilled a stock to make it lighter? or say skeletonized one? I am hoping someone out there has pictures of one that they have done. Trying to decide if it would be worth my time....Thanks!
    Henry.

Opus Dei
    I can't say I've seen a sporter rifle done so, but I have seen where people took Yugo M76s and made copies of Iraqi "Tabuk" sniper rifles. Part of the conversion was skeletonizing the buttstock.

Basic Member
    Hey thanks Trent! My rifle weighs 8.5 lbs and i carry it all the time. People pick it up and tell me how heavy it is lol. my heaviest is 12.5 so i am used to a heavier gun, and the 8.5 "light" rifle doesnt bother me much but i had thought about drilling it too. It is a beautiful piece of wood i bought from boyds for 35 dollars, i put about 20 hours in it reshaping and sanding and sealing. Ha so i dont even know if i could drill holes in it anyways. Those are sure some interesting variations that you have found. Thanks for the reply and for sharing!
    Henry.

82boy
    Well for a 10.5 lbs gun, I had to do some carving in my stock. We also do the same carving in 17lbs stock to make places to add weight. You can drill hole in the rear of the stock under the but pad, you can take a router, and cut channels under the barrel, I also leave the mag well open on stock, and just bed around them. It will not be a big savings in weight, but it may be just enough.

Basic Member
    Yeah I have carried this one around for at least 12 or so miles this season and its not bad, and coyote hunting gets me used to packing my heavy guns around... the 12lb guns make the 9 lb ones cake... the 220 swift is just a hair lighter than my .22-250 so it sees the most action. I didnt think about under the bbl channel that is a great idea!