Thread: RCBS Primer Pocket Swager Combo

jcameron996

RCBS Primer Pocket Swager Combo

I recently purchased the RCBS primer pocket swager combo to take the crimp out of some .223 brass I picked up from an online auction. I only swaged three cases before I had to work down the end of the rod to get cases to fit on it. Three more cases and it had belled out enough that I needed to work it down again. It didn't feel like I was using excessive force and I was not getting the primer pocket to look like I wanted. I called RCBS and they said that they would send me a new one made of stronger material, no questions asked. I read reviews about bending the rods, but nothing about spreading out the end. It seems that the rod is made of way too soft material. Has anyone else had problems with this? Seems like the set up should work but it is going to take a long time to do 1,000 cases three at a time.

Basic Member

Re: RCBS Primer Pocket Swager Combo

Everyone recommends getting the Dillon. I just chucked a deburring tool in my drill, stuck it in a vice and just run the cases down on it. Pretty easy to do and a lot cheaper than buying another tool. Haven't had any issues with seating or loose primers.

thomae

If you are spreading the end, you likely have the swaging die in too far. back it off just a bit and see if that helps. I have the RCBS and have decapped thousands with it. Best of luck. I also have the Dillon. It works well also. Torchrider's deburring tool sounds like a reasonable idea as well.

I've had the Dillon for at least 15 years and have zero problems with it after swaging thousands of cases.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

Quote Originally Posted by thomae
    If you are spreading the end, you likely have the swaging die in too far. back it off just a bit and see if that helps. I have the RCBS and have decapped thousands with it. Best of luck. I also have the Dillon. It works well also. Torchrider's deburring tool sounds like a reasonable idea as well.
    I have a Hornady case prep center and I just use the deburring tool to cut the crimp ring out. It is real easy and no problems so far.