Thread: Need Trigger Identification help

Basic Member

Need Trigger Identification help

Can anyone tell me what kind of trigger this is and maybe point me to directions for adjusting? The trigger is currently adjusted too light and the safety doesn't function.

[img width=792 height=768]http://i916.photobucket.com/albums/ad1/TORCHRIDER/IMG_2656.jpg[/img]

rb4123

Re: Need Trigger Identification help

Taking a stab in the dark, but I think that is the three (3) screw trigger. I may be completely wrong though.

r29l20

I've never seen one with screws like that, it may be they were replaced at some time. It looks like the spring wire is handmade also, that's your trigger poundage. I have a factory wire if you want it. It will increase the trigger pull weight. Search 3 screw trigger for adjustment information, it may just need adjusting. Another thing, the threaded piece that the wire end is in, can be adjusted, just take a flat screw driver and turn it clockwise to increase trigger pull. What year is the rifle? It might just be an older design.

Basic Member

I don't know how old it is because I bought the action from someone. It is a flat back long action. I thought it was a 3 screw at first, but there is a fourth screw that engages the sear where it meets the trigger. The adjustment for the wire is also about as far as it can go up. Hmmmmm. :-\

4 screw, they used a screw to lock the cross pin also instead of a C clip. You can eliminate a bit more side play with them if you slide them tight to one side.
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Avenger
    4 screw, they used a screw to lock the cross pin also instead of a C clip. You can eliminate a bit more side play with them if you slide them tight to one side.
    Did Savage make a 4 screw?

Basic Member

Look in the FAQ it shows the triggers.

Basic Member

Man and man's best friend. Still looking at the green side of sod

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by scratcherky
    That trigger does not look like mine. I will check the FAQ's as well.

KRP

Quote Originally Posted by TORCHRIDER
    Yes. Your trigger is just like the one in the above link but with the old slotted adjustment screws and the extra screw to retain the pivot pin.

deerhunter85

I have the same on on my 10/110 long short action 223 that is what savage called it ween I call them and my gun was made in march 2001. Is it a good trigger? Don't know that but mine is at 4.3 lbs not bad but not good for target

Follow the directions in this link(in order) to adjust the trigger correctly. Im sure the safety doesnt work because it is just out of adjustment.

http://savageshooters.com/SavageForu...c,19414.0.html

You can also lighten the trigger pull more by replacing the pc of wire on the side with a pc of .040" piano wire, and backing the scre out some.

I just did one of these triggers tonight. The pull weight was 5.5lbs. when i started and about 2.75lb when I was done.
    ”I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.”
    ~Clint Eastwood

KRP

Quote Originally Posted by deerhunter85
    I have the same on on my 10/110 long short action 223 that is what savage called it ween I call them and my gun was made in march 2001. Is it a good trigger? Don't know that but mine is at 4.3 lbs not bad but not good for target
    They are great as far as factory triggers are concerned. I'd personally take an old three screw over an accutrigger any day.

Basic Member

Thanks for the replies guys. I am going to follow the adjustment instructions you pointed me too.

Quote Originally Posted by TORCHRIDER
    YES
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

Basic Member

I have the identical trigger (4 screw) in a 110CL of early/mid 1970s production. Adjust it like a 3 screw trigger and ignore the fourth screw..

Basic Member

Thanks guys. I followed the instructions including using piano wire instead of the one that came with it. Safety works and trigger pull is at about 3 lbs. I am guessing, as I dont have a gauge. These triggers can be tuned rather nicely.

Dave

Basic Member

Three pounds is great for a hunting trigger. If you are target shooting, the sear screw adjustment can get you down lighter and cleaner. I run about 2.5-3.0 #s on my deer rifles. My varminters are around 2.25-2.5 #s.

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by LHitchcox
    Three pounds is great for a hunting trigger. If you are target shooting, the sear screw adjustment can get you down lighter and cleaner. I run about 2.5-3.0 #s on my deer rifles. My varminters are around 2.25-2.5 #s.
    I think I need to invest in a trigger pull gauge.

Basic Member

Sometimes a trigger will fool you. I have a first model 110 with a really weird trigger that feels about 3# because it is so crisp, but the gauge shows almost 3.5 #. My daughter's boyfriend has a Mossberg that you would swear is over 5# because of the take-up and the grittiness, but the gauge says 3.75#.

I have a cheap gauge that I bought for under $20 at a local gun shop. I think they may have mis-priced it. It shows up on Midway for almost $30.

I just looked it up on Midway and they have reduced the price to $19.99, but is is out of stock. Here is the link:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/192...gger-pull-gage

Basic Member

Thanks, I just put it on my wish list.