Thread: 110 long action build info.

goob

110 long action build info.

New to the forum and was wondering if there was any advantage of building a 308 win. on a long action rec. (exp. Long- high b.c. bullets)

Re: 110 long action build info.

Yes, you hit the nail on the head.

I also like long actions because all of the parts interchange and Savage has never changed the long action screw spacing.
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

Disappointed but not surprised Bell & Carlson didn't announce an A2/A3/M40 Medalist for the Savage 110 at SHOT this past week.

ellobo

Geargrinder, correct me if I am wrong. Savage had two iterations of actions for short action cartridges before they designed a true short action. The first was a true long action with bolt and magazine mods to take short action cartridges. It had the 5.062 bolt spacing. Then they had what is refered to as the intermediate action with a 4.4 bolt spacing. I thought this so called intermediate action was also a long action with a short action magazine installed that allowed the 4.4 bolt spacing. True? If true then there were two long actions with different action screw spacings. That bit me in the butt one time when I bought a 110 in .243 with intentions to rebarrel to a 7x57 only to find it had a magazine too short for a 7x57. Its things like this that people buying used rifles with the intention of converting only to find they got caught in this scenario. At the time I was new to Savages and had no idea how many changes they had made. Trying to keep up with all the changes still gives me a headache.
    El Lobo

Team Savage

Yep,
    If you want to run a longer COL in the magazine.

FYI some of the guys over at snipershide run the 208 gr amax long, like close to 3.2", in a throated 308 barrel so they can cram more RL17 into the case.
    Getting some impressive numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by goob
    New to the forum and was wondering if there was any advantage of building a 308 win. on a long action rec. (exp. Long- high b.c. bullets)

KRP

Quote Originally Posted by ellobo
    Geargrinder, correct me if I am wrong. Savage had two iterations of actions for short action cartridges before they designed a true short action. The first was a true long action with bolt and magazine mods to take short action cartridges. It had the 5.062 bolt spacing. Then they had what is refered to as the intermediate action with a 4.4 bolt spacing. I thought this so called intermediate action was also a long action with a short action magazine installed that allowed the 4.4 bolt spacing. True? If true then there were two long actions with different action screw spacings. That bit me in the butt one time when I bought a 110 in .243 with intentions to rebarrel to a 7x57 only to find it had a magazine too short for a 7x57. Its things like this that people buying used rifles with the intention of converting only to find they got caught in this scenario. At the time I was new to Savages and had no idea how many changes they had made. Trying to keep up with all the changes still gives me a headache.
    El Lobo
    4.4 action screw spacing is a centerfeed short action. Long actions all have the same screw spacing but they did make long actions with short magazines. The intermediate action is different.

Here's the information I just stole from SSS. It's the short actions from 1988-1998 that were built on a long action with a short action mag opening. I have one that I used for my 338 Edge until I got bored with it. Now it will be a 7mmRUM as soon as the barrel shows up.

Savage Centerfire Action Lengths

Savage Centerfire Action Length Identification. To help determine what action you have, here are the action screw center-to-center measurements.

Long Action: 5.062" (all years)
    3rd Gen Short: 4.400" (2006 - present)
    2nd Gen. Short: 4.275" (1998 - 2005)
    1st Gen. Short: 4.522" (1959 - 1988)
    Striker:

Additional Notes:

- The 1st Generation Short-Actions are today commonly referred to as "J-Series". This is incorrect as a "Series" designation simply refers to a slight design change. Rifles marked "Series J" can be either a 1st Gen. short-action or a long-action.

- The 2nd. Generation Short-Actions comprise most of what you will run across.

- The 3rd Generation Short-Actions are the newest production models and can be easily identified as they will have the new center-feed magazine system. The only exception is rifles originally built in .223 Remington or .204 Ruger as Savage has yet to release a center-feed magazine for these smaller diameter cartridges.

**The best way to remove any doubt as to which generation of short action you have is to measure the action screw spacing.
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

goob

Quote Originally Posted by tammons
    Yep,
    If you want to run a longer COL in the magazine.

FYI some of the guys over at snipershide run the 208 gr amax long, like close to 3.2", in a throated 308 barrel so they can cram more RL17 into the case.
    Getting some impressive numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by goob
    If you have a longer throat will it still shoot factory ammo or shorter bullets.