Thread: AXIS Ejection Problems

jasta

AXIS Ejection Problems

Hi All

I know that this topic has been done before
    http://savageshooters.com/SavageForu...c,37766.0.html

But I had the same problem and it was driving me nuts. But after seeing the thread with a fix regarding the
    detent ball fix and how easy it could be to fix....well
    http://savageshooters.com/SavageForu...c,23731.0.html

One thing is to read about it another is to do it.............. I just had to try it for myself..

How I did it.... YMMV

SAFETY FIRST- NEVER WORK ON LOADED FIREARMS AND REMEMBER IF IN DOUBT DON’T DO IT AND GIVE IT TO A QUALIFIED GUNSMITH

Pictured below:

Step 1: Shows the extractor plate. Using a small screwdriver wedge it under the extractor plate and push from the inside of the boltface. This will slide the plate out. Be careful here as the ball is under pressure from the spring and its best to cup your hands over the bolt end so things don’t go flying.

Step 2: Showing the spring in the bolt and the 2 ball bearings and extractor plate upside down. You can see the bearings are is a slight difference in size with the factory one on the right and the detent of the extractor.

Step 3: Putting it back together is easy by placing the extractor plate back into the boltface making sure you put it in the correct way with the tapered end in first..as shown. Then place the bearing on the spring.

Step 4: Final step is to use the screwdriver to press the bearing down and with your finger slide the extractor plate over the bearing. You will know when it is in place as the plate will no longer move and you are done. As before you are loading the spring so be careful you don’t send it across the workshop/dining room.

I replaced the bolt and ran 20 used cases with each one flinging out on the floor regardless of speed of the cycling. 100%

Thanks to the guy who worked that out....

Hope this helps anyone who has this problem...

Jasta

jo191145

Re: AXIS Ejection Problems

When I had that problem I did it a little differently.

Removed the extractor and used a (!/8" I think) grinding ball on my Dremel.
    Ground the divot in the extractor deeper and further to the outside. In essence recentering it.
    Still working good with 8- 10 thousand rds thru it.
    Whatever works works right?

kdvarmint

Where can I get a bigger ball?

thomae

Quote Originally Posted by kdvarmint
    Where can I get a bigger ball?
    Fastenal: What you want is a .140 or 9/64th ball.
    http://www.fastenal.com/web/products...19?sku=0987677

I had mine delivered to my local Fastenal store so there was no shipping cost involved.

jasta

I'm in Australia so I couldn't help you there. The ball I used was 3.5mm..

jo191145

FWIW
    After the factory ball has gone flying across the room I've used #4 steel shot as a replacement. FWIW

thomae

Technique suggestion: When you are taking the extractor out put the bolt and your hands inside a large plastic bag (clear helps so you can see) so that the ball and spring don't get lost.
    Last edited by thomae; 10-28-2012 at 10:52 AM.

TechHunter

And now the question am sure many of us have asked...If the fix to such a common problem (my Savage 11 wont eject either) is this simple, why in the world Savage continues using the same size ball?

hunter2

One year ago at the shot shot the reps were asked the same question - "we have 4 vendors making the bolt heads for us now. We are selling too many edges to worry about it now!" It seems a shame they have nobody smart enough to tighten up the computer tolerances. Easy fix along with not leaving them in the polishers so long.....( dip where the firing pin hole is)

hunter2

Also - changing out to the bigger detent ball did not help mine for very long. SSS has a larger button head ejector that worked wonders for me. Good luck...

Bad Water Bill

When will people learn to put something spring loaded into a 1 gal ziplock bag for repairs.

If the spring and ball go flying just tip up the bag and your parts will be in the bottom of the bag not 4 rooms away hiding under the dresser for the next spring cleaning if you are lucky.

Basic Member
    Brining back a dead thread because I used it today...awesome info.

Howie
    I put the ball in mine today also. I sent mine back into Savage with no luck. At least they paid the shipping. They sent me a new extractor first and that seemed to do it but then the same thing after about the 100th round so I sent it in to them and it's better but still problems. I'm hoping this works. I have the issue now with the cheaper ammo like Tulu Steal. I put 40 rounds of it down range with 4 fail to ejects then 40 rounds of American eagle brass and only had one fail to eject. So I'm really hoping this takes care of it.

Anyway I bought the 3.5 mm ball and if anyone needs one I have 249 left. LOL I had to by a bag of them for $8 on amazon. Just send me an email and I will give you my address for you to send a self addressed and stamped envelope to. Just include a dime and you will have what you need.
    Last edited by Howie; 10-24-2012 at 08:11 PM.

Howie
    Well I went out and tested this and I had no failures with brass and Hornady Steel but I still had 3 bad ejections out of 40 rounds of the cheap Tula ammo. So my conclusion is I will never buy anymore Tula ammo. The rifle works great with good ammo.

Basic Member
    Tula is always bottom shelf ammo.

Howie
    Quote Originally Posted by aubie515 View Post
    Tula is always bottom shelf ammo.
    Yes I agree, I found out the hard way because now I still have about 250 rounds to go through. All well it cycles most of the time so it won't be to painful to go through it. :-)

Howie
    Just an update. Turns out the rifle did not continue to work with the better ammo. I ended up contacting Savage and sending it back a second time. I contacted the CEO and he put me in touch with head of customer service. I received some really good service too. It has restored my faith in Savage. I was told my Joe DeGrande head of CS that some of my problem may have been the Tula ammo. He had a feeling that I may have been getting some hot loads and it may have blown the new ejector out again. He highly recommended not using it. I'm not sure if that was it but I took his advise and took the Tula ammo out of the equation. This time around they replaced the ejector and extractor again plus polished the feed ramp and removed a few burrs. They also did another accuracy test for me and had 1/2" in 100 yards. I was having some trouble at 100 yards but it is either me or the scope not the rifle. They paid to have it shipped to them both times so I was happy with that. I put 90 rounds of the cheaper Remington ammo through it without one problem. I'm so happy I was able to get this fixed, it was depressing to buy a new rifle and have problems.

Basic Member
    I've had some issues with dropped shells. Seems to be fine after a full tear down cleaning of the bolt head. The extractor was probably not seated properly. Funniest part is I had more touble with Hornady then with Tulammo. Tul is just too dirty for me. 10 rounds of it is worse then 100 of AmericanEagle FMJ or Federal FMJ Trainers. Must have the graphite coated powder or something. The coating on the cases seems to build up on the bolt head as well.
    [QUOTE=scope eye;271337]the most I have been able to fit is 90gr of H4895.[/QUOTE]