Thread: Which rings and base

back40

Which rings and base

I am fixin to buy a Savage Model 12 American Classic .308 and need to know what rings and base/bases to buy.I will be using a Bushnell Elite 3x9x40mm 1" tube. Also what heighth rings. I prefer the lowest I can use.
    Thanks......Dave

Re: Which rings and base

There are so many good choices, and you've not mentioned anything about what you goals are for mounting (so a follow up on that could help alot).

However.... here are some good considerations:

[1] Burris Signature rings - very nice and easy to get right. Insert options will also be a plus. You have several base options here too, so that will depend on what attribute you want out of this mount. Depending on which mounting system you want in these, they may be hard to find. Can be pricey.
    [2] Burris Xtreme Bases (Picatinny/Weaver style) and XTR rings. Very soild and tactical looking. Great reputation. Great Value.
    [3] Talley Lightweight one-piece alloy. Very strong and hold zero (at least will do so in .308). Eliminates bast to ring errors and connection. Easy to mount. May need lapping. Very cost effective.

Most Low mounts should work with the Model 12 Classic barrel contour and the 40mm objective of the Bushnell Elite. You may find that some combinations work best at achieving the lowest mount possible. Realize that you barrel flexes quite a bit on firing and that you need to insure that the flexing does not interfere with your scope mounted.

I've had all of these and can't say any of them are a bad choice. .308 caliber is not a hard rifle on scope mounts, so you don't need something in the class of a mag or heavy duty recoil capability. Make sure that if 800+ yard shooting is in the picture that you consider getting a 20moa base adjustment or equiv. shim(s).

PS - make sure they are properly installed!
    .22LR * 6.5x47 Lapua * .223 Rem * .308 Win * 260 Rem * Large Cojones!
    [I]"I can prove anything by statistics except the truth."[/I]

Basic Member

I have a couple of sets of Burris Signature dovetail rings. 1", matte black, med.
    Let me know if you are interested.
    Charlie
    laportecharlie

back40

Thank you all. I will be using the rifle for deer and hog hunting. 200 yard shots at the most and most under a 100 yards. I figured 0 MOA? I think I would like to try a 1 piece mount.

At 200 yds, 0 MOA is the right choice. I assume you meant a one-piece base (vs say the Talley's I recommended). If so, make sure you understand that a one-piece base can induce accuracy robbing stress on the action. Make sure you check for that and bed it if necessary. If you are not sure of what I am talking about, say so and I'll try to explain or point you to some detailed links on the subject. One piece bases can be great as long as they are properly mounted.
    .22LR * 6.5x47 Lapua * .223 Rem * .308 Win * 260 Rem * Large Cojones!
    [I]"I can prove anything by statistics except the truth."[/I]

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by back40
    Thank you all. I will be using the rifle for deer and hog hunting. 200 yard shots at the most and most under a 100 yards. I figured 0 MOA? I think I would like to try a 1 piece mount.
    Egw makes a good one peice picatinny base. Comes in 0 or 20 moa and runs around 40 bucks. I'm very pleased with mine.

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=32.744509,-92.533687

If your future rifle will have a blind mag i would recommend a 2pc base system instead of a 1pc. A 2pc set will allow you more room to load the magazine from the top.

If it will have a detachable mag then it isnt as important, but a set of 2pc bases will still work just fine.

With 2pc bases you will probably need medium height rings, but with a 1pc rail you would most likely need low rings.
    ”I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.”
    ~Clint Eastwood