Thread: Centerfeed bedding

stewart33

Centerfeed bedding

The mag box stays in the stock. Is there a temporary way to attach the mag to the receiver for the bedding process. I plan on using Devcon. I have seen some pics and some short videos although, I don't remember this issue being brought up. I'm sure it's rhetorical and will apologize for my ignorance beforehand but, I'm just not seeing it!

Basic Member

Re: Centerfeed bedding

I removed the mag box before bedding and taped off the walls of the magazine well area in the stock
    Then used plumbers putty to fill in the areas at the front and rear of the mag well
    You could just fill the entire mag well with putty
    Hope this helps
    Jack

Quote Originally Posted by JW
    I removed the mag box before bedding and taped off the walls of the magazine well area in the stock
    Then used plumbers putty to fill in the areas at the front and rear of the mag well
    You could just fill the entire mag well with putty
    Hope this helps
    Jack
    +1. I filled the mag well in my stock with putty and glassed over that as I was building a single shot using a Fred Sled.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

Team Savage

This is the process I use for bedding the CF magazine box into the stock so that it is positioned to feed correctly and stay in place:

I put 3 layers of tape along the bottom of the bolt and tape the magaze box in the proper position to the action. Next I press a small ball of plummers epoxy in each corner of the stock magazine well. Don't forget to put release agent on the box metal. Attach the action to the stock pressing the bottom of the magazine box into the epoxy putty. Tighten down action bolts to the desired torque. Wait 10 minutes and remove action and magazine box. Use a small blade to trim away any excess putty before it hardens completely. Now you have a fitted base that will hold the magazine box in place at the proper height for smooth feeding. And the spring loaded follower will not push the magazine box all around the stock well, or up against the action. I then throw away the L-clip.

MWalker

I thought about this after I bedded my first action. I bedded my centerfeed action to the factory tupperware just to try it. I pulled the blind mag out and filled with putty then taped over it. I put alot less devcon on the rear location so I can still put the L-clip back in when I was done. After all said and done I put it all back together and it feeds fine. Later I thought about just leaving the magazine in place along with the L-clip and bedding over the L-clip. Doing this I know I wont be able to remove clip without removing bedding but why would I want to remove clip? Seems to me it would work this way but I have only bedded one action.

stewart33

I thought about this all day at work and realized that the magazine doesn't need to be bedded at all. Of course, the mag needs to be removable for resale or what ever, having it fixed in the stock is not acceptable.

I think I've got a handle on it. thanx for all the replies

MatthewUSMC8791

purpose of bedding this CF magazine????

stewart33

I don't think there is any reason to bed the mag. I just wasn't thinking it through all the way at first. Staggered feeds have the mag attached to the action so bedding it might be necessary but, that's not my case. plugging the mag well didn't dawn on me till I chewed on it awhile. I'm not the sharpest tool in the shop. :)

bjones2571

Quote Originally Posted by jpdown
    This is the process I use for bedding the CF magazine box into the stock so that it is positioned to feed correctly and stay in place:

I put 3 layers of tape along the bottom of the bolt and tape the magaze box in the proper position to the action. Next I press a small ball of plummers epoxy in each corner of the stock magazine well. Don't forget to put release agent on the box metal. Attach the action to the stock pressing the bottom of the magazine box into the epoxy putty. Tighten down action bolts to the desired torque. Wait 10 minutes and remove action and magazine box. Use a small blade to trim away any excess putty before it hardens completely. Now you have a fitted base that will hold the magazine box in place at the proper height for smooth feeding. And the spring loaded follower will not push the magazine box all around the stock well, or up against the action. I then throw away the L-clip.

This just maybe the ticket for me. Im getting ready to do my first bedding job bedding my Stevens 200 LA into a Heritage Sporter stock from Stockysstocks. The magwell on the stock has extra room that allows the magazine box move around. Ive been scared to proceed because Ive not been sure how to keep the magazine box from moving around.

ellobo

Stewart33, the fact you gave it some deep thought tells me you are a lot sharper than you think you are. Pat yourself on the back.

El Lobo

I bedded over my L- clip, for whatever that's worth. But mine was a single-shot with no magazine, so that made it much easier. Worked well to bed it in place.

bowhunter42

I have seen the gunsmith at the best of the west take a piece of stryofoam and cut it to fit the mag well and then do his bedding, I thought wow what a simple solution than taping and using clay to block everything off. I just tryed it on a weatherby mark v that im putting togther and it works great!