Thread: barrel options

sprayed99

barrel options

I know first post and some newb is asking questions. I have been around forums for a good 10 years but just recently got heavier into shooting so I have joined several forums to help expand my knowledge and meet a few folks around the Dallas TX area.

I recently bought a brand new 12 FCV 22-250 for a extremely low price. I don't want another 22-250 as I have 3 of them now.

So here is where it gets into the options.

Wanting a LR gun I was looking at the 7mm WSM and 300 WSM barrels and I know it would require a bolt head change.

So

Do I buy a direct replacement shilen barrel in either of the above to cal. to fit into the 12 FCV action or do I buy a used savage action (if this is going to be done I will go to a LA for 300WM or 7mm Mag).

Do the savage short actions have the same issues as the rem. 700 where you have feeding peoblems because of the rails and ejector issues when you move up to the magnum SA chambers?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Dan

Basic Member

Re: barrel options

Dan,

Welcome to the forum. I am fairly new here as well and just learning the whole Savage thing. Are you looking to feed from the magazine or use the rifle as a single shot? I believe the answer to that will have bearing on the action you use. If you want to shoot some of the higher BC bullets and have them seated out towards the lands, the short action magazine will not accomodate the rounds. You will also need to purchase a barrel that has a standard shank unless you purchase an action that has a large shank. Savage actions come in two Shank sizes. The factroy WSM actions and target actions come with large shanks, most others are small/standard shanks. There are many here who are much more knowledgeable than me who will come along to help out. Good Luck!

Regards,

Dave

droach

Welcome. You'll find that this forum is a great source for knowledge and gear swapping. If you're looking to sell that 22-250 barrel, please let me know.
    Thanks.

sprayed99

I think I have somewhat made up my mind after talking with the wife. Plans are to sell my Tikka T3 22-250 that she uses and she wants to upgrade to a 243. This will allow me to use the FCV as my new varmint rig and let her use my 12BVSS for her varmint rig.

So plans are to get a savage LA and build it up as a 300WM using either a shaw barrel or shilen... Talking with Lance from gunshack helped me come to this conclusion. The bummer of this entire deal is I just finished working up a load that shoots lights out from the Tikka T3 and the gun only has 80 rounds down the tube.... dissapointing as I will take a pretty big loss on that gun. >

Thanks guys for the welcome I have been shooting savage for a good while my first rifle and shotgun were both savages/stevens.

So any thoughts on who to use for the barrel???

Basic Member

What is your price range for the barrel?
    They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

sprayed99

Quote Originally Posted by psharon97
    What is your price range for the barrel?
    free - 500... so basically pretty wide open

I'd talk to the site sponsors,ie, Sharp Shooter Supply (Fred), Devin at Sinarms or Jim at Northland Shooter Supply.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67