Thread: How do you organize your brass?

mugsie

How do you organize your brass?

I know - in little tubs or plastic bags! Seriously - I reload for a lot of calibers, pistol and rifle. After returning from the range, I usually dump the brass into a plastic bag. When I think there's enough, I clean 'em, size 'em, trim, chamfer etc., then back into a bag waiting to be reloaded. I use whatever brass I have, purchased, range pick ups etc. It's all mixed and I don't attempt to seperate it by manufacturer, times fired etc (although I do keep the Lapua seperate, but not by times fired). Is there a better more organized way? How are some of you doing it?

Re: How do you organize your brass?

I use ziploc bags for all my empty brass. A piece of masking tape on the bag will let you write any and all info you may need.

large clear plastic bottles from peanuts, storage bins with pull out drawers, vacuum pack bags when the wife is not around to catch me, plastic coffee cans,
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

10fp

plastic shoe boxes from the store, theyre clear and have snap on lids and are stackable

Basic Member

I use ziplok bags and put a little piece of paper in each bag with the type of brass, and number of times It's been loaded. I try to keep up with the number of loads as best as I can, but sometimes I get confused.....my wife say's I am often confused!!

That1guy

Accuracy Pistol I separate by headstamp and use only Starline and Winchester. After the starline is 3 times fired, I dont keep track of how much its been shot.

IDPA/USPSA rounds get mixed. I shoot to much to sort that stuff. I use big plastic tubs, and the shoe boxes mentioned above to store it.

Rifle rounds get sorted by headstamp and times fired, unless it is AR-15 hoser type rounds. Even then I keep track of where the brass came from and how many times fired.

Basic Member

Plastic ammo boxes. Sorted, prepped, and maintained the same group.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Balding
    Plastic ammo boxes. Sorted, prepped, and maintained the same group.
    +1, I use the 50 and 100 round boxes and separate by caliber, case weight and number of times loaded. Large amounts of brass I store in gallon zip lock bags with the same data.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

Basic Member

i use ammo cans like you i have close to 10 cans with some having more than 1 caliber in it inside that i use ziploc bags if they are primed i throw thw cardboard label of the primer in so i will know what primers i used . pistol brass is not sorted ar brass the same except lc brass i keep it seperated for my 308 and 223 bolt guns i keep that brass seperated by brand and what stage of prep it has done to it .i reload alittle different i might tumble all week then deprime, trim resize for more than 1 caliber then prime another week .i always have brass that is ready for powder i just grab throw and go .

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Avenger
    large clear plastic bottles from peanuts, storage bins with pull out drawers, vacuum pack bags when the wife is not around to catch me, plastic coffee cans,
    Blue Avenger,
    Does vacuum sealing keep them from tarnishing ?

Quote Originally Posted by zap
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Avenger
    Blue Avenger,
    Does vacuum sealing keep them from tarnishing ?
    only been a couple months. heard it dose
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

mugsie

So - it doesn't sound like too many of us track our brass by times fired do we? I try to seperate by headstamp occasionally, but probably 80% of the time it's mixed (and I wonder why my groups always suck?!). ;D

Basic Member

I use the storage bins from like rural king has 3wide and 5 tall I use them for my 223 brass have used for 204 starting at the top with the lable of rifle I prep new brass and put in the top drawers they are clear so easy to see then leave the 2nd row blank usually holds 240 rounds each then the 3rd drawers I lable 2nd loaded basically varmint rigs but sort from new at top to up to 5th firing depending on brand and loads I decide when to discard brass that way I have a specific Round count for each rifle and keep brass separate and number of loading per
    couple of savages

OH, I do have a lot of plastic box's for what I am using and do count the times fired. the other containers are for storing new and once fired.

around 8 hundred .308s in a fiber tub with a sealed lid that have been stored 2 years, still so shiny the picture failed

dacaur

Ive got one of these, $40, sometimes on sale for $30... http://www.harborfreight.com/parts-r...ins-95496.html

Tupperware with masking tape to write the information on . . . and zip lock bags, and I usually write with a marker the info on the bag.

The Tupperware is used for my common/most used brass!
    [B][SIZE=3]Dennis[/SIZE][/B]

fyimo

Plastic zip lock bags with the caliber written on with a felt tip pin.

Like many others here, I use zip lock baggies (various sizes) and mark on them with a sharpie. I'll weigh cases and seperate by 1/10th grain. ;D
    .22LR * 6.5x47 Lapua * .223 Rem * .308 Win * 260 Rem * Large Cojones!
    [I]"I can prove anything by statistics except the truth."[/I]

Quote Originally Posted by dacaur
    Ive got one of these, $40, sometimes on sale for $30... http://www.harborfreight.com/parts-r...ins-95496.html

been eying one of them!

Basic Member

I store my dirty spent brass in covered 5 gallon buckets until I have an opportunity to clean them.

Once cleaned...

For those calibers that I don't have thousands and thousands of cases I use 50caliber ammo cans...

For those calibers that I do have thousands and thousands of cases I use 20mm ammo cans...

[img width=350 height=768]http://i916.photobucket.com/albums/ad1/TORCHRIDER/IMG_2652.jpg[/img]

I store cleaned, prepped, primed and ready to load brass in various plastic containers...

[img width=445 height=768]http://i916.photobucket.com/albums/ad1/TORCHRIDER/IMG_2653.jpg[/img]

Looks like nickel 303 Brit.,Where'd you get that?
    "An armed society is a polite society"
    "...shall not be infringed" What's the confusion?

Im pretty cheap
    I use plastic oil & anti freeze jugs cut off 7 " tall , mark outside with permanent marker ,
    I only reload 4 calibers, but I seperate by # 0f X's fired
    & RTL ready to load - cleaned trimmed & sized-,
    on calibers with more than one rifle , by rifle as I neck size only most of time
    -any auto shop will give you as many as you want
    I have a set of shelves above my reloading bench
    all the jugs set on - works for me
    If your lucky enough to live in the BIG woods your lucky enough

cooker900

my wife found clear 1 gallon paint cans with lids at michaels crafts for like $7.00, i just put a label on them for the caliber and set them on the bench and i can see how much of what caliber i have. and considering that i reload for
    25-05
    260 rem
    270 win
    280 rem
    7mm08
    308 win x2
    300wm x2
    264 wm
    35 rem
    7.62x54r
    380 auto
    9mm