Thread: savage model 56 magazine , will this fit ?

pure havoc

savage model 56 magazine , will this fit ?

pure havoc

Re: savage model 56 magazine , will this fit ?

I got a savage .17/.22 10 rd mag, model #2005 and with a little modifying it works perfect

I aquired this from my grandfather about 4 yrs ago seems as though its a 1940s model and it had no magazine and loading it by had is a PITA , I have tried a couple differnet mags with nothing that would fit properly ,I have spent $50 on mags that didnt work so why not another $20 more . and with a little bit of work on the mag and modifiying it slightly I now have a 10 rd mag that functions properly . It is supposed to be a 10 rd but the gun doesnt like 10 in the mag and works just fine with 9 in it .

How to make it fit

There is a metal tab on the gun that goes in the front and back of the mag grooves . I had to bend the back one back a couple mm's and I had to lightly file the sides of the bottom plate on the gun to let the mag fit in it , the metal attachment pieces that stick thru the side plates of the mag rubbed the bottom plate on the gun and the back of the mag wouldnt go in easily . Also you cannot remove or install the mag when the bolt is closed , it has to be open and I think that is because of the working internals when the bolt closes the top of the mag goes in the bolt grooves . I must have had this thing apart 50 times last night making it work properly and doing it right without butchering it up and making it look like crap . also this mag goes in at a funky angle it doesnt go straight in or out , it goes in and out easily you just have to pull it in the direction like the mag is shaped
    She isnts new but she is still a decent old gun