Thread: dead coyote

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    countryboy

dead coyote

I shot a coyote more a week ago, threw him in edge of woods about 600 yds away, watch to see what comes around, something turned her over but nothing has taken a bite. What does eat them, thought buzzards or possums would eat them at least.....Does anything eat them?

kslefty

Re: dead coyote

A crow may pick at them in hard times but have yet to see anything else.

countryboy

Thanks, couldnt believe something wouldnt eat it, was clean didnt smell like some. Oh well, I learned something.

Quote Originally Posted by kslefty
    A crow may pick at them in hard times but have yet to see anything else.
    Times must not be hard enough yet! Pretty bad when the buzzards and possums turn their noses up and move on! Maybe they're just waiting for it to age a little, like fine bourbon...

BTW, I've seen the same around here with large feral hogs.

countryboy

well I guess the green flys will have a drink of the bourbon....

countryboy

One more question, why wont anything eat a coyote?

Because they're universally despised..? good question.

375Win

It might be something about having the hide on it. I dispose of my skinned coyotes in heavy cover a little ways off the road and they get cleaned of pretty quick. I believe most of the flesh is removed by birds as there are always crow, hawks and magpies flushing out when I come to dispose of another. If you've noticed even raccoons, opossums, and other critters along side the roads are rarely eaten unless they were damaged enough to expose meat.

pitsnipe

Quote Originally Posted by countryboy
    I shot a coyote more a week ago, threw him in edge of woods about 600 yds away, watch to see what comes around, something turned her over but nothing has taken a bite. What does eat them, thought buzzards or possums would eat them at least.....Does anything eat them?
    Well, here is another take. I too have shot a few on my land. Thick as theives around here they are. Well, threw it out for their buddies to munch on and all his/her fellow yotes did was pay homage. Yea, they pissed (yellow snow) and cra_ _ d around them all night but didnt touch a hair. Threw it out "in the open" and the bald Eagles and Buzzards circled it for days but no go. Then a country boy up here tells me that Coyotes have figured out how to catch Bald Eagles and Buzzards and the like by playing POSSUM of all things and other Coyotes in the bush's ambush the bird or whatever that is there for a meal and turn THEM into the dinner guest. The young man professed to have seen this happen. All I know is the maggots get a fair share of any dead Yote of mine before anything else even considers it. Dead Yote is a GOOD Yote.

countryboy

A trapper I know said he skins them out and throws in a pile out in a field and nothing will eat them even then. He said they just lay there and dry up.

scott597

I have left them out in the feild also. I believe it's the hides also. the ones i skin and throw out get torn apart in a couple days the ones with the fur don't hardly get touched at all.

efw

Yeah I've skinned 'em and tossed 'em and they get picked apart as fast as a deer carcass. Never tossed one w/ hide-on, though. Seems like that would indeed make a significant difference, though...