Thread: barrel switch out troubles

ottsixx

barrel switch out troubles

Hello all Ive got a jynx that I cant figure out whats up Ive got a savage 110 LA that was originally a 30-06 and a couple years back I picked up an adams and bennett 338-06 barrel and the barrel nut wrench and we put the 338-06 barrel in this rifle and it worked swell with no troubles at all and I just picked up a 284 winchester barrel for the savage 110 and when I get the head space set and lock the nut down the firing pin wont strike the primer and it wont extract the case from the chamber and Ill be doggonned if I can figure out whats goin on here and thought I better turn it over to some more knowledgeable than I.

Basic Member

Re: barrel switch out troubles

I would say that the head space is not correct then. Sounds like you set the head space then when you snuged the nut, it changed the lenght of the chamber.
    Loosen the nut, re adjust, and try again.
    Life is short, make every shot count.

Did you by chance leave the extractor in your bolt head when you set the headspace?

Sometimes the extractor will sit in back of the rim instead of snapping over the rim, giving you too much headspace. Try it again without the extractor in the bolt head.
    12F, McGowen 6.5x284 1-8&quot; twist, Nightforce 12-42x BR<br />BVSS, McGowen barrel, 22-250 1-9&quot; twist, Nikon 6-18x<br />16 FHLSS Weather Warrior, Sinarms 257 Roberts, Pentax 3-9<br />Stevens 200, 223 bone-factory-stock, Nikon 3-9x<br />Scratch-built BVSS, LW 243 1-8&quot; twist, Viper 6.5-20x50 mil-dot

gotcha

What did you use for a HD space gauge? Sounds like the gauge may have contacted the extractor rather than the bolt face. I've heard of people removing the extractor to prevent this from happening. ........... Also, Is the extractor working correctly? Rim thickness on the 284 Win. is .054". The 338-06 & 30-06 thickness is .049" These specs vary a bit from one production run to the next. A .054" or thicker rim could contribute to the extraction problem. Pull your bolt out & try to push the .284 brass into the bolt face to see if your extractor functions w/ your .284 brass. Hope this helps :D

jo191145

Sounds to me like the chamber quage never slipped inside the extractor.

Removing the extractor would be the proffessional method.
    Or you could simply use a little more force when screwing in the barrel. You should feel it click over the extractor.

Before snugging the nut always work the bolt and make sure the extractor is removing the case quage.

I tend to work backwards these days on new barrels.
    Bolt closed with NO quage I screw the barrel down until it contacts the bolthead. Loosen a hair and try the guage. It should'nt chamber.
    I have one aftermarket barrel chambered deep that will IF and only if I use brass as a quage. The clearence on the bolthead is minimal.
    Doing it backwards assures me the bolthead has clearence.
    Of course simple measurments will work for that also ;D

cwop

i have 2 target actions and neither of them will extract so i think you have solved my problem

thanks

bob

you can also try putting the case in the bolt and then put the bolt in the gun. then turn the barrel in the case.

ps ... when the barrel is off, slip the cartridge in the barrel and check the case protrusion
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

ottsixx

yes I did pull the extractor befor I started and actually I took the cartridge and hooked it behind the extractor and pushed it down on the boltface and it went there very easily after my first attempt without sucess.and I did read somewhere that I was supposed to pull the bolt apart and remove the firing pin,Im curious why I have to do this.

gotcha

ottsix, Are you working w/ a fired, F/L sized case? Or a case fired in a different rifle & unsized? Also, +1 Blues advice of chking protrusion would be excellent.

no, leave the firing pin in. some remove the ejector.
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

stangfish

Not sure if you solved you issue.... Do you have the correct bolthead and if you had to change it, did you get the correct firing pin and assembly installed correctly? Bolt and firing pin are worth taking a glance at if anything was replaced. As far as the extractionion issue make sure the extractor positioned over the detent ball and in the correct position. Good Luck

ottsixx

alrighty now I understand why its not working as I took both barrels the 338-06 that worked fine and when you look at the breech end of the barrel it is all perfectly flush across the breech end except for the chamber hole and when I drop a cartridge into the chamber all that sticks out is the rim and I can push the bolt face upon it and extract it from the chamber easily,the new 284 barrel is not flush across the breech end as there is an opening about the diameter of a nickel and about 3/10 tenths of an inch deep and when I drop a cartridge into the chamber the rim end of the cartridge is recessed and the bolt face cannot reach the rim to extract it, so now Ive become curious about what is this barrel that I have as it threads right into the action and the barrel nut spins right onto it but it appearently does not fit this application or the machining was not finished up on this barrel does anyone have a clue. PS if you go to gunbroker auction and pull up auction 265268952 you can see the last pic of the breech end of this barrel thanks again.

Basic Member

Even though the threads match, it does not sound like the barrel was made for a Savage rifle. If it is new i would call the supplier and explain. ALL Savage barrels are flush at bolt head contact area.

Sorry for the earlier typo's, answered from my phone and it acts screwy sometimes. :-\

Basic Member

Just guessing but it could be a barrel for the older 110's. I believe they were recessed.
    Like I said just guessing.

stangfish

Marlin barrel form the XL7 variety. The Savage barrel pattern is a direct replacement for the Marlin action. Marlin added a relieved face that makes it necessary to modify the barrel or bolt head in order to work on the Savage action.

jo191145

I'm not sure if that barrel will fit some old Sav action but it won't fit any modern one.

Gotta get rid of that recess. Maybe need to rechamber once thats done and the step up on the shoulder might then cause problems with your nut.
    You need a smith.
    At least you got it cheap.