Thread: 22-250 Fired case precision mic measurment?

treeworkplus

22-250 Fired case precision mic measurment?

I've read many posts on this website about barrel changes and different ways to set the headspace measurment (headspace gauges, FL sized case/tape etc). I'm sure not every "GO" gauge measures exactly the same, and many variables with the FL case method. Reguardless of method used, what should the fired brass measure using a RCBS precision mic? With the ability of the Savage to basically "adjust" this measurment, what should the target (yes pun) measurment of fired brass be???
    Thanks for the help...Great website!!!

jwolf

Re: 22-250 Fired case precision mic measurment?

My go gauge reads "0" on my precision mic. New RP brass measures .001 under. Fired brass measures .001 over. My predator is head spaced tight. Scotch tape on the go gauge will lock the bolt up. Hope that's what you were asking.

stangfish

Quote Originally Posted by jwolf
    My go gauge reads "0" on my precision mic. New RP brass measures .001 under. Fired brass measures .001 over. My predator is head spaced tight. Scotch tape on the go gauge will lock the bolt up. Hope that's what you were asking.
    I'll go a +1 on this advice. For a hunting rifle it doesnt hurt to open it up a smidgen so that all factory ammo works but this is the place to start.

gotcha

+2......................Stang, I can't believe we actually AGREED for once ;D

treeworkplus

Thank you fellow Savage shooters! Based in information on this website, I did my first barrel swap on a model 110FP from 308 to 22-250 using a barrel from Midway on sale last year for $139. Couldn't be happier! Using new Nosler Custom, my fired brass consistantly measures .0015 on the RCBS precision mic.
    I'm also very pleased with the performance. Using 50G Vmax, starting at 34g Varget, worked my way up to 36g, .010 off the lands (Hornady Lock n Load...not the RCBS thing) - now shooting .65 inch at 100 yds, and I'm sure there's room for improvment. Wish I could rebarrel my "other" brands of rifles!

Thanks for the help!

stangfish

Quote Originally Posted by gotcha
    +2......................Stang, I can't believe we actually AGREED for once ;D
    I can. I am not as smart as you but I am more abraisive.