Thread: 3 Axis rifles and counting.....

RwBeV

3 Axis rifles and counting.....

Well just bought my 3rd new Axis in 223, I still haven't fired one in a factory cartridge. The first was rebarreled to 20 Practical AI, with a used Remington barrel, it shoots great. The second one was rebarreled to 204 Ruger, with a factory Savage barrel, it shoots great. The 3rd one was rebarreled to 20 Vartarg, with a Shilen varmint weight barrel, I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet but I see no reason that it wont shoot. The triggers on all 3 wouldn't even register on my trigger gage, but after a few minutes I had the first one down to 2 1/2lb and the other two are about the same now. I like this little rifle, don't think I would build a BR rifle on one but for building a light weight varmint gun they have been just what I was looking for (under $300). The one thing I have noticed though is the barrel nut on all 3 has had to have the wrench to get it all the way off, they use some sort of grease with small steel shot in it for some reason. I just wish someone would come up with an after market stock, in some sort of a varmint style preferably.

Anyone else out there building anything on one of these rifles?

Bob

bobfortier

Re: 3 Axis rifles and counting.....

I made a stock for mine, and waiting on a new barrel

CJ in WY

My 25-06 Axis somehow fires 6.5-284 rounds now.....Dangdest thing I ever saw ;D
    The Shaw barrels a lot rough but shoots alright but I cant say its a lot better than the 25-06 I took off, the 25-05 shot great for a $265 gun!
    The stock is what it is= Works great for a truck/walking critter-getter.

RwBeV

What do you think of that 6.5 round? Where in WY are you from CJ, Im in Cheyenne. I have been think about buying a large bolt face Axis and use one of the 9 twist 223 barrels and build a light 22-250 AI. It would make a great little walkaround varmint rifle that would shoot 22 bullets heavier than 60gr.

Bob

CJ in WY

I'm in Casper "as little as possible"
    I shot a goat and mulie over 600 yards with the last 6.5-284 I had=Not a big improvement balistic wise over the 25-06 but it will thow a little bigger slug.
    I've got a varmint contour 8 twist 22-250 shootin 75grain Amaxes...the heavier bullets turn the 22-250 into a whole new animal...especialy in the wind!!!
    I've got a 223 CZ 527 that I think the world of and only bought the Axis because I figured it wold make a good truck gun and a midrange walking varminter/goat/deer unit. I put it together too late last fall to use it for hunting but might use it to fill my remaining cow tag....If I have to leave the truck very far, the 338 Edge will get the call otherwise.

Idahojoe

Just rebarreled in with a E R Brown 260 Rem. Still breaking it in but getting less than 3/8" three shot group thats include the fouling round. Hoping to warm up some wolves and yote's with it.
    Aren't those little steel balls a pain. Guess i can't complain about the funky stock. Idahojoe