Thread: How many rounds should my barrels last??

SYBO

How many rounds should my barrels last??

I have a model 10 FCP K in .223, and a 10/110 FCP HS Precision in .308. These are basically bench guns and are swapped between each other so I never heat up the barrels. I am re-loading for both and Im using moderate loads and nothing too hot, I'm after accuracy. How many rounds can I respectfully expect from these barrels? I appreciate all the knowledge found here and thanks in advance for any feedback. Jim I also clean using a bore guide after each outing.

82boy

Re: How many rounds should my barrels last??

O' both of them barrels should last as long as 6 seconds.
    http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/...s-barrel-life/

Barrel life is approximate, each barrel has its own personality, and some last longer than others. Some things that influece barrel life is type of barrel, (Cut rifled VS button rifled.) Use of moly or other coatings, cleaning, and there is even a formula to predict barrel life and it has something to do with the amount of powder burned.

I have seen barrels that just dont give up the ghost, and have the throat, and rifing gone, one barrel I remember belonged to Sharp shooter it had 4000 (22/250) round down the tube torchered in a dog town, that was rebarreld to a 22 br, there was nothing to the barrel for the first 6 inchs past the chamber (No lands groves just clean.) and that barrel would shoot 5 shoot 100 yard groups in the .2 to .3 area all day long.

On cleaning the most important thing it to get as much of the hard carbon out that you can, and they only way I have ever seen to do this was with a bronze brush, and a good solvent.

Quote Originally Posted by SYBO
    How many rounds can I respectfully expect from these barrels?
    I disrespect mine frequently, even curse them, and they seem indifferent. Can't hurt to be nice though. :)
    Welcome to the forum!

Good article 82.

dksac2

Many loose their accuracy starting in less than 2000 rounds.

The best thing you can do is to try and pick a cartridge that will fit your needs and not eat the throat and stay away from max loads.

Staying just 10% down from max can in some cases double the life of the barrel.

They all get the throats eaten, but some like the good old 30-06 will last far longer than some of the hotrod cartridges.

I know of a coating that is put on rifles for the military, makes the AR narrels last 30,000 rounds. Only one smith will this guy do the work for, it has to be on a new barrel only, won't work if the barrel is used. No other smith has this, it's not nitrate.
    dekael6@gmail.com if you want more info. It's not cheap, but it works, quite a bit more FPS also. There are referances also if you want them, it works. I'm not the smith, just know and have seen the results in friends guns.

John K

Basic Member

it depends i have a factory bull barrel that before i put it up would shoot .8's @ 300yds if i did my part. for me i load for accuracy not to max i bought the gun used and know i have put around 1500 rds down it myself one thing i had to do is find a bullet it likes not what i wanted it to shoot (having to do this for a Mcgowen 223 i have now). keep it clean

romulus

I have a savage 10 fp hs that has 3812 rounds through it and it will shoot 5 in 0.5" at 200 if I don't screw it up. I know it isn't typical, but I have only used KG products and nylon brushes and for the first 2,000 rounds I took care of the barrel pretty good. Each range trip I'm waiting for something bad to show up, but I'm still waiting. I even developed a load with an ES of 4 just some two hundred shots ago, so it's not like "well it's still shooting" kind of thing. It's still shooting good.

SYBO

You guys are great!

Team Savage

Depends.

If you shoot them hot = less barrel life.
    Should get a lot of milage out of both the 223 and 308.

Read where SSS once stated barrel life is roughly 13# of powder.
    IMO Less if an an overbore, probably more if a moderate shell like a 223 etc.