Thread: Copy cat rifle

spudwrench

Copy cat rifle

Ruger just announced their new All American rifle. Am I the only one that thinks this looks like an Axis with an Accutrigger ?

bobfortier

Re: Copy cat rifle

Stock is a lot similar, IMHO

Big Old Boy

yes it does at least they are not from China.

It is actually a cross of several guns the way it looks.

Axis stock and barrel nut

Tikka/TC Venture/X-Bolt style 3-lug, short throw bolt

X-Bolt style magazine- although Ruger has had rotary mags in their smaller guns for years

Appears to have a steel tang safety.

Overall I think I would like the new Ruger better than my Axis. I was kinda po-ed when i saw it as i just purchased my Axis but then seen it's not available in .223 yet.

I just did the trigger mod- lighter spring- so I am excited to give that a try. Will have a range report soon!
    Axis .223 with 4x12x40 Redfield Revolution
    Stainless Axis .30-06 with 3.5x10x40 VX3 Leupold.

dacaur

There are only so many ways to make a rifle or handgun, so yes, many guns end up looking similar. Were the stock checkered wood would you say it looks like a copy of a Remington 700? Same thing with cars, any time a new car comes out, you can say "oh, they copied this or that other car". They might have taken design cues from other stuff, but then, so did the axis, just like every other gun out there. When you set out to make a truly unique looking gun, you end up with something like the Beretta neos :P, and nobody likes it....

Its might look similar to the edge but its far from a copy.

Axis stock and barrel nut
    barrel nut? how do you figure? looks nothing like a savage barrel nut to me...

Waiting too see how accurate these guns are, I might have to have one.... hoping they do one in 300 win mag, I already have a .308

Basic Member

Looks like a smooth barrel nut ( or close to that) under the exploded view & I do not see a barrel lug. Not sure if Rugers even have one anyway. It does look like a mixture of many other styles as stated above. They do have to keep up with the other companies lower entry firearms selling like crazy.

stangfish

This gun may put savage out of business. ;D

Quote Originally Posted by stangfish
    I seriously doubt that considering what a Ruger costs these days. It will be a lot more expensive than an Axis and probably won't shoot as well.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

mossburg and marlin have already proceeded them.
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

seanmurphy265

It's still a $450.00 rifle, so I would say that is one step above entry level. I owned a Ruger stainless 300mag for years and loved it. I paid $400.00 for it new in 1999, but now they have gone through the roof.

Basic Member

"I paid $400.00 for it new in 1999, but now they have gone through the roof."

I don't think they have more than any others. The all weather models are only a little higher than the 116 weather warriors and the model 12 vlp's are a good bit higher than the m77 MKII target varmint.

Quote Originally Posted by GaCop
    Quote Originally Posted by stangfish
    I seriously doubt that considering what a Ruger costs these days. It will be a lot more expensive than an Axis and probably won't shoot as well.
    This gun is supposed to sell for between $300 (walmart) and $350 (local shops) so considering the better trigger system I would call it as good or a better deal than the Axis.

As for the barrel nut- I just meant it has one- not that it's exactly the same.

There is a good review on Gunblast.com that shows the internals of the stock and such. This was a .30-06 model and all groups were under 1 inch ;D

dacaur

well, its tough to make a rifle without a barrel nut.... ;D I guess you could use glue.... hehe, seriously though, lots of rifles have barrel nuts, savages normally have a pretty unique one.... quite unlike the one this the ruger...

As for price, I bet it will go for around $300-$350. Remember that $450 is MSRP, an in my experience rugers generally sell for 70-80% of MSRP.

Quote Originally Posted by dacaur
    well, its tough to make a rifle without a barrel nut.... ;D I guess you could use glue.... hehe, seriously though, lots of rifles have barrel nuts, savages normally have a pretty unique one.... quite unlike the one this the ruger...

As for price, I bet it will go for around $300-$350. Remember that $450 is MSRP, an in my experience rugers generally sell for 70-80% of MSRP.
    several of my guns' barrels just screw into the receiver without a nut as far as i can tell.

The reason the Ruger American so closely resembles the Axis is because the same person designed both of them. Seems a certain engineer at Savage who played a key role in designing the Axis asked the big cheese for a raise after they started raking in the $$ on them, and when the big cheese said no the engineer took a job offer from Ruger.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

that would be the guy that knew just how to beat the patent rights!
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

Basic Member

I still say the only thing that looks similar is the stock. I just don't see any similarities to the action. Similar to a TC? Yes. A Savage? No.

uad7116

I was at the Bill Hick's distributor show last weekend and spoke with the Savage reps and they said the man the designed or helped design the axis, he quit savage and went to work for Ruger hence the similarity's. Not saying it's true but thats what i was told from the Savage sales reps. And the Ruger american is a pretty nice rifle!

uad7116

echo echo, sorry Mr. Furious already posted, should have read everything.

stangfish

when you select Savage rifles at Guns America
    the American rifle from Ruger is on 1st page
    when the designer of P T Cruiser left Mopar
    & joined GM the HHR was the result
    very simular looking cars
    If your lucky enough to live in the BIG woods your lucky enough

Basic Member

It has a reciol lug, like a tikka, or the savage Axis, identical. Ruger took the good parts of several different rifles, and came up with this one. Should be a shooter watched video on it, 1 inch, factory ammo. I have always like ruger rifles, and guns in general from a gunsmith point of view. 99% of the ruger 77MK11's, SS that I have shot, will shot MOA at 100 yds with good factory ammo and scope, 3 shot groups out of the box. I think they have the best scope mounting system out there. I have zero'ed hundreds of them, bedded and floated and did trigger jobs on at least 120 of them, and they can be scary accurate, with sporter barrels. You can get a lemon in anything, but in my experience, they are few and far between with Rugers. I have had the same luck with Savages, never had one that did not shoot great, all the way back to the 70's. The barrel nut idea is just too sweet to not use, easy perfect headspace and saves time on the production line, which is money! JMHO. Sam.

dacaur

If you look at different parts of any rifle or handgun out there, with few exceptions you can see that each part is the same as some other gun. Same with cars, look at the full size truck segment....