Thread: 338 lapua build

stewart33

338 lapua build

A friend of mine is considering a build. He would like a 338 lapua. He asked me today which action and bolt face would be required, I thought it would need to be a long action mag, but honestly I'm not sure. Any help would be great.

Re: 338 lapua build

I'd start with a Savage Lapua action, or a Stiller TAC 338. Those will come with the correct bolt face.
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

THe Lapua is iffy in any Savage action other than the one they make specifically for that caliber. Typically, we suggest the .338 Edge instead. 1/3 the cost in reloading dies and brass, Can use standard long actions or Target actions, and will be faster than the Lapua.
    More shooting, less typing.

Don - LongRangeSupply

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie
    THe Lapua is iffy in any Savage action other than the one they make specifically for that caliber. Typically, we suggest the .338 Edge instead. 1/3 the cost in reloading dies and brass, Can use standard long actions or Target actions, and will be faster than the Lapua.
    I second the comments above.

No way would I build a 338 LM on a standard Savage action. The bolt face thrust is too much and the chamber wall thickness is too little.

Go with the RUM case and you won't be wondering if your face is going to look like roadkill every time you pull the trigger.

Basic Member

Add another agreement with the above comments. Both the 338RUM and 338 Edge have similar or faster velocities and work much better in the Savage action. I would think a large shank barrel would give sufficient chamber thickness for the Lapua but you would still risk too much thrust on the bolt and lug set back with a standard action. The Lapua action is tempered differently to make it harder/stronger, has a smaller ejection port to make it stiffer and has thicker locking lugs and lug recesses as well.

stewart33

Thanx for the input guys. So, what I gather from your comments a 338 edge/338 RUM can be built from a standard long action mag bolt face which is .532 I think? What brass is the edge built off of?

The Edge uses 300RUM brass simply necked up to 338. It can safely be done on any Savage action. Even the small shanks.
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

stewart33

What problems might be encountered with the magazine. Will a 300wm feed the 300rum cartridges properly?

That's the problem. Savage mag openings are too short for the RUM's. It can be done with heavy modifications. It's easiest to just run it single shot.

I've done both and prefer the single shot.

Basic Member

If it's a newer centerfeed action it will still require some work but near as much as the old staggerfeed models. As geargrinder indicated, especially with the old staggerfeeds, it's not hardly worth it. I would try it with a centerfeed magazine though.

stewart33

He would hunt elk with this rifle also. Not sure if the single shot would appeal to him. may try to find rum action to build off of. Unless, the mods to the centerfeed aren't to difficult.

stewart33

Just browsed Gun Brokers. Didn't see one ultramag. Did savage make any?

Yes, they did but not for long. Those actions are not plentiful.

Also, they have a 3.6" magazine. Fine for factory RUM rounds, but too short for hand loads with long bullets.

I really hate to say it, but Savages do not make good long range repeaters if using the RUM case.

Basic Member

All the more reason why some company should commercialize the 338 Campfire/aka 338-375 Ruger. Are you listening Hornady?

the 375 H&H or 7 STW were pre RUM extra long mags if you run across one of those.
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

stewart33

There was one 375 H&H in the 30 plus pages I looked at! Not a bad price also. would this magazine feed 338 Edge handloads?

It will if you load it to 3.6" or less. I believe the 375 H&H has the same mag opening as the RUM actions.

The standard Edge load with a 300g SMK is 3.785".

stewart33

3/16 of an inch! Could the mag be modified easily to feed the standard load. It would be a shame to spend the money&time and not be able to use the case to it's full potential. Also, if the mods are complicated maybe a centerfeed action would be a better route seeing as they are more available.

Again, I would like to thank everyone for their input!