Thread: Axis trigger is just awful HELP IS NEEDED!!

Basic Member

Axis trigger is just awful HELP IS NEEDED!!

Has anybody found a easy way to lighten the awful plus 6 pound trigger?? I took out the paint that was in the spring and tried to use my accu-trigger wrench to adjust down but that didn't work.

Basic Member
    Couple rf's, couple cf's, and 1 12g.

Everything I once held dear
    I count it all as lost

Kaianuanu

Re: Axis trigger is just awful HELP IS NEEDED!!

nice to see other people are benefitting from and recommending the trigger mod i came up w/

kdvarmint

I see so many people buying the axis/edge and then wishing for better.(not wanting to offend anyone) I understand a budget is a budget, and you can't spend money you don't have. But if you can squeeze it, move up to a savage with an accu trigger. You will never regret it. Just a little advise for anyone trying to decide on one or the other. It is a HUGE difference.

After doing the free, 10-20 minute trigger mod I am now consistently getting .5 inch groups. I really don't need any better for my use. I guess if i was gunning prarie dogs i'd want a heavy barreled varminter with an accutrigger for hopefully .2 inch groups but I think i am good for coyotes and fox. ;D
    Axis .223 with 4x12x40 Redfield Revolution
    Stainless Axis .30-06 with 3.5x10x40 VX3 Leupold.

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by kdvarmint
    I see so many people buying the axis/edge and then wishing for better.(not wanting to offend anyone) I understand a budget is a budget, and you can't spend money you don't have. But if you can squeeze it, move up to a savage with an accu trigger. You will never regret it. Just a little advise for anyone trying to decide on one or the other. It is a HUGE difference.
    You have to remove the stock to adjust the accurigger also. I have a 200 without a accutrigger and two models with accutriggers. I see few reasons to step to a model with accutrigger. Unless you specifically want a nicer stock, particular barrel, Or don't want to make your own rifle. Then you can make whatever type of rifle you want with new take-off, used, new from savage, or new aftermarket parts. Just seems to me the way to go about things...
    Couple rf's, couple cf's, and 1 12g.

Everything I once held dear
    I count it all as lost

kdvarmint

Not saying you can't be satisfied.

I just took one from 7lb to 3lb by changing the rear spring , & a little honing
    could easily go to 1.5 lb by adjusting spring tension
    left at 3lb for a young shooter, didnt need the shim fix on this one
    If your lucky enough to live in the BIG woods your lucky enough

spitpatch

Did the trigger spring mod for a neighbor, who bought one of these nice little guns in .308 for his daughter-in-law. Also did the side-washer thing to shim out the side wiggle in the trigger. Very minor honing, and the gun went from 6.5lbs to 3.25lbs, and crisp.

I want to say this is the first of these I have seen up close, and while an economical rifle, they are very pretty, and I am impressed!

Now, if Savage would come out with a true short-action Axis, I'd run and buy one. (But I guess that would stomp on the whole economical deal).

Thanks to those posting here, and the references to DM's link.

rooster57

The Axis trigger is very simple to lighten. There is a good example on YouTube for taking a coil off the spring. I did this on my Axis 7mm-08 and polished the contact points on the trigger with my dremmel tool and a little polishing compound and now have mine breaking nicely around 2 1/2 - 3 lbs. This doesn't cost you anything extra and it really makes a difference.

Happing shooting!!

rooster57

[quote=kdvarmint ]

Your talking around $150 more for an accutrigger model which you are correct in the fact that they are sweet shooting, but the money you save with the Axis can be spent more towards good optics and still have less invested than the higher priced models which I'm positive won't out shoot the Axis unless you get into the $1500-$2300 Savage rifles.

kdvarmint

I see there are many who love there Axis rifles and feel strongly about them. Just another testament to Savage's commitment to making the best reasonably priced rifles.