Thread: B&C A2: Design flaw?

Basic Member

B&C A2: Design flaw?

Hi,
    I just ordered one and I'll be receiving it this coming Friday. I have only red good reviews on B&C A2 but I already know one thing I won’t like on the B&C. It’s that the aluminum only holds half of the first action screw that could potentially require pillar bedding (FYI my factory stock already came with Pillars on both action screws). What are your thoughts on this? If I don’t use pillars, what kind of torque should I be using on this stock?

Kevin

Basic Member

Re: B&C A2: Design flaw?

I don't think it is any worse than the factory stock in respect to support in that area. Even your factory stock is cut on that pillar near the trigger so that it will clear. The main purpose of a pillar to to limit crush of the stock material so consistent torque can be applied. With the B&C A2 you have a full block. There is nothing to worry about. The whole stock bedding area is pretty much a pillar. Torque values differ on who is making the call. You'll find no more than 25 in lbs suggested for straight wood stocks with no pillars to 60in lbs for a full block or pillar bedded stock. Some even play with those value tune the rifle.

if you are referring to the "half pillar" as the rear screw hole(closest to trigger), it has to be made that way for the trigger sear to clear it. It does not weaken the stock at all.
    ”I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.”
    ~Clint Eastwood

Quote Originally Posted by pdog06
    if you are referring to the "half pillar" as the rear screw hole(closest to trigger), it has to be made that way for the trigger sear to clear it. It does not weaken the stock at all.
    +1.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

Basic Member

I was referring to this article where the author says "I’ve learned from good authority that because this pillar doesn't fully support the action, the tang will flex when you tighten the rear guard screw. "
    http://www.varminthuntinginternation...20Bedding.html

I received my stock and love how it feels and I'm glad you guys don't think it's a problem.

here are some pics

http://imageshack.us/g/62/dsc3580.jpg/

chemist1

I would say that there are too many savages that shoot well with that pillar set up for it to be a fluke. I don't think it is necessary to have a full pillar in the rear action screw. instead what is important is to make sure the tang is free floating.

Dont know how it doesnt fully support the action? That notched pillar is not going to flex at all and gives it just as solid contact as a full pillar.

The rear tang should be free floated and doesnt have any purpose except to hold the trigger and safety. So if he says it is flexing then he needs to inlet the tang area of the stock. That is his problem, not the pillar.
    ”I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.”
    ~Clint Eastwood

He is also mentioning the Duramax stock in his article, which has only the 2 pillars(or 1 1/2 in his case?).

but

The title of this thread mentions the B&C A2 stock, which is the Medalist model that has a complete aluminum bedding block. Completely different bedding system, but still notched for the sear the same way.
    ~Clint Eastwood

Basic Member

If you do just have the rear action screw in it does tend to pull the front of the receiver up off the bedding sometimes but that is just the nature of things. It might be better if the sear could be modified to clear a pillar and I have seen someone do it but it would be a very touchy thing to mess with. A little too much off and you'd need a new one. Of course it is a Savage and as near as I can tell it doesn't seem to matter when bullets strike target. ;D If I really had a problem with it I'd buy a remmy but I haven't lowered myself that far just yet..