Thread: 112 Accuracy issue

Basic Member

112 Accuracy issue

Last week I tried out my new to me Savage 112 in 223 and a new Savage 10FP also in 223. I got excellent accuracy from the 10FP but the 112 was not grouping well at all using the same ammo I used in the 10FP. I started checking the action screws which are tight and then tried to slip a piece of paper between the barrel and the stock. It's the original plastic stock, and it is touching the barrel. Not much space to begin with, between the stock and barrel. I am assuming this may be the problem with accuracy on this rifle. The 112 looks like new and has very good bore so I expected accuracy on par with the 10FP.

I have read I can remove some stock material to make sure the barrel is free floating. The stock is flimsy and I thought about just replacing it with a Boyd thumb hole stock. I just bench shoot and put a Boyds on the 10FP which I really like, I bought it here from the marketplace. Anyone make these stocks with the pillars installed?

Thanks, Ken

dksac2

Re: 112 Accuracy issue

You can go ahead and releave the areas touching the stock, then take a Dremil tool, cut a tunnel out in the bottom of the stock that will hold about a 1/4" steel rod, then put accu glass in the bottom of the forend of the stock, just keep it below the bottom of the barrel, it will stiffen up the stock quite a bit.
    This will give you time to save for a quality stock of your choosing, one costing more but worth the money.

You may just like your stock after modifying it. It does add a little weight, but not a lot.

My best, John K

Quote Originally Posted by dksac2
    You can go ahead and releave the areas touching the stock, then take a Dremil tool, cut a tunnel out in the bottom of the stock that will hold about a 1/4" steel rod, then put accu glass in the bottom of the forend of the stock, just keep it below the bottom of the barrel, it will stiffen up the stock quite a bit.
    This will give you time to save for a quality stock of your choosing, one costing more but worth the money.

You may just like your stock after modifying it. It does add a little weight, but not a lot.

My best, John K
    You can do all this, or just float the barrel for now and invest in a Duramaxx stock that is pillar bedded and usually needs just a bit of sanding in the channel to insure the barrel is floated. I replaced an older Boyd's thumbhole stock (no longer made) that was on my heavy barrel 7mm-08. I was having accuracy issues with the stock even though it had been glass bedded and pillars added. The rifle has settled down and is now shooting in the low .6s since I dropped the action into a Duramaxx stock. I have yet to glass bed the Duramaxx.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

Basic Member

Will the screws from my factory stock work with the Duramaxx stock. I plan on getting the Duramax and wanted to know if I will need to order new screws.

Thanks, Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Captk
    Will the screws from my factory stock work with the Duramaxx stock. I plan on getting the Duramax and wanted to know if I will need to order new screws.

Thanks, Ken
    I'm using the factory screws with my Duramaxx.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67