Thread: Turkish walnut ?

r29l20

Turkish walnut ?

I just ordered a turkish walnut stock from Numrich, it said new factory stock, but I can't find any information on a 114 with a turkish walnut stock. Was this a special run or something? Please help identify this stock. It's a blind mag, cut checkered, long action, right hand. Thanks.

ellobo

Re: Turkish walnut ?

Most fancy walnut for stocks now comes from Turkey. Good quality walnut here is getting harder to find. The Turkish walnut I have see is really nice. I wish Boyds had some for thier Prairie Hunter stock style.

El Lobo

Basic Member

The turkish walnut stocks came on the model 14 & 114W, circa late 2003. These were a "cleanup" run sold through Ellett Bro. The reason I say clean up run, is because all of the short action versions were large shank actions. They were originally supposed to be WSM controlled round feed, hence the large shank. Someone made a mistake when the ejector slot was cut on the wrong side, so to salvage several hundred actions, they were assembled as a standard caliber with a push feed bolt head. The turkish walnut stock was to entice the buyer, as at that time they were the same price as a birch stock rifle.
    There is nothing wrong with the stocks or the guns for that matter, just at that time, large shank barrels were something out of the ordinary.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

r29l20

Thanks alot, that's what I was looking for. :)

TOO Builder

Fred or any others, any idea what action screw spacing these stocks have. Was wondering if my 110 stagger feed accutrigger action would fit into one?

Quote Originally Posted by r29l20
    I just ordered a turkish walnut stock from Numrich, it said new factory stock, but I can't find any information on a 114 with a turkish walnut stock. Was this a special run or something? Please help identify this stock. It's a blind mag, cut checkered, long action, right hand. Thanks.
    was the stock for a centerfeed action?
    newbie from gr, mi.

r29l20

I hope not I'll check. All it says is blind mag well, so i'm assuming it's staggered feed. If it's a CF, I can open it up for a SF can't I ?

Basic Member

The CRF should have tipped you off... these were all stagger feed.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

r29l20

Thanks, I never thought of that. :-[

r29l20

I just got the stock today, it's as plain as you can get, no pillars, and a plasic action screw bushing,(I don't know how to spell the proper name for it). What do you want for 80 bucks. So I went to the machine shop and made a new bushing and some pillars. All glued in, just waiting for it to dry. Just thought I would let people know what to expect, if they order one. Still not a bad buy.

I just got the stock today, it's as plain as you can get, no pillars, and a plasic action screw bushing,(I don't know how to spell the proper name for it). What do you want for 80 bucks. So I went to the machine shop and made a new bushing and some pillars. All glued in, just waiting for it to dry. Just thought I would let people know what to expect, if they order one. Still not a bad buy.
    You have any pictures of the stock?

r29l20

http://i1192.photobucket.com/albums/aa337/r29l20/gun004.jpg[/IMG]g][/img]

Basic Member

a plasic action screw bushing,(I don't know how to spell the proper name for it).
    That piece is called the escutcheon, but its spelled POS

That's a real nice stock for $80.00 though. Good looking figure with checkering too. I may have to get one for myself.